Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bike Commuting Woes

5:40am: hopped on bike to ride to swim practice

5:52am: flatted

6:04am: flat fixed and inside of tire checked (in dark no less!), put wheel back on bike

6:05am: must have missed something in tire, wheel flats while putting it back on bike

6:06am: may have said something out loud at this point, to no one in particular

6:07am: pull out cell phone to place "call of shame" to Steven

6:08am: remember Steven turns phone off while sleeping

6:09am: consider walking remaining 2 miles to swim, but realize I will then be stuck at pool, with wet hair, in 36 degrees

6:10am: start walking 1.5 miles home

6:13am: realize walking in bike shoes with tight calves actually helps to stretch them out!

6:14am: find a nickel on the ground (significance of this)

6:20am: watch sunrise to nice clip-cloppy tune of my feet

6:27am: watch street sweeper pass me and find this oddly hilarious, seeing as our timing was slightly off this morning

6:34am: arrive home and discover my "nickel" is no more than a circular metal hole punch from a construction site

6:36am: fix flat again, still don't find anything in tire, but this time it works

6:45am: decide since I missed the swim I will eat some waffles instead

And I still would not give up bike commuting after this morning's adventure.


Illustration by Max Dalton, who has crossed the Patagonia on a bike with a friend! (I am jealous!)
Check out more of Max's work here.

12 comments:

ADC said...

You should see me when I get a flat right in the middle of central London. To top it off it is usually in pouring rain. Hope you enjoyed waffles :-)

Roo said...

Glad you made it home safe!

I turn my phone off at night too. Last week Jesse had to send one of his guys over here to bang on the door and wake me up because they needed some tools out of the garage!

LoveOfShoes said...

I flatted once while riding in Central Park in the morning, and of course flatted again about 200 meters after fixing the first. I decided I would rather take the subway home, with my bike during the morning commute, rather than walk home in my bike shoes!

Maggs said...

man that sucks. I turn my phone off at night too. I hope the rest of your day I'd better.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Boooo! Flats are bad! (In every sense of the word :) The silver lining? Waffles were probably really great! Yeah for that! :)Hang in there!!

Craig Ryan said...

Flats give you confidence! Keep it up.
Craig

Eileen Swanson said...

Sucks about your flats, but good on ya for eating waffles ;-) I am sure your flats are all out of the way now!!

Bob Almighty said...

Sadly I can't start bike commuting until June....well I could but I don't think they allow bikes on the Freeway.

Well on the flats they suck but look at it this way it's honing a valuable skills..plus waffles are a fitting reward,to any ride.

X-Country2 said...

I support waffles at any time for any reason. Sounds like a successful morning afterall!

Ordinarylife said...

Oh, that "Call of Shame". Not good.

I called Mr OL about 3 years ago and I have never heard the end of it. Unfortunately last month I had to do it again. Also changed the tube only to find out my tire was slashed so badly that the new tube was sticking out and hitting the frame.

I wish I had thought of waffles to make him feel better about having to wake up early and come and get me.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I had waffles this morning too! Without the adventure though.

Bummed you miss your swim but hope you're having a good day!

rocketpants said...

ohhhhh that sucks! Did you end up commuting after eating those waffles?