Friday, November 21, 2008

Bike Commuting

I'm trying to ride my bike more for commuting and yesterday I made great progress for several reasons. The main success was that I figured out how to ride to work AND get Starbucks on the way. This was huge - a complete MADE MY DAY moment. Actually, Starbucks isn't on the way to work at all, I have to add two more miles and climb a massive hill, but it's still completely worth it. Didn't spill a drop on my bike either (thanks to all my blogger friends for awesome "coffee-transport" tips!)


The second great success was that I got lights from my friend Erik (thank you!!) to try out so I wouldn't get killed on the way home in the dark. I am now lit up like a fancy Christmas tree and should be ultra-safe. You can't see the back - but there's a HUGE red light on the back of my bike and then I have 3 flashing lights on my messenger bag. I may be bordering on "annoyingly flashing" but I don't care if it keeps some idiot from hitting me!


This morning - more success - I rode my bike to the pool, then to work. I wasn't sure if this might result in my arriving at work one massive ice cube since my hair is wet from swimming, but it actually worked out in my favor. Since I was cold, I rode faster and actually made it in less time than when I drive my car. NICE!! Thanks to fatcyclist for my cool messenger bag that he sent when I won his raffle!

6 comments:

Shan said...

Hey Charisa!

Came across your blog via Marit's, and realized you must know my friend Joanna (I think she is part of your yoga group) :). Just wanted to say that I love your blog, and hope to see you around!

P.S. I invited Marit on a ride on Sunday, and you're more than welcome to come too! The more the merrier :)...We're meeting at Fletcher Cove at 8am to do the Elifin Forest loop. Feel free to email me at slwerner@ucsd.edu if you want!

Cheers,
Shannon

D said...

I want to know what all you commuters do with your bike when you stop at Bucks. I fear mine will magically disappear while I'm in there. That would be very sad.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Totally awesome setup! You rock!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I saw you zip by me while I was waiting for the stupid school traffic. No - school is NOT stupid. High Schoolers who take 2 bloody minutes to walk across an intersection ARE! I'm ALL about the bike on Monday!

Great job!

Snakebite said...

Bike commuting - great!

Getting lights on the bike - great!

Starbucks - well, not so good. REAL bike commuters abhor the biggie corporate companies and buy their coffee from the small local shops (they have better coffee, too!).

Next week I'll teach you ,Thee Secret Bike Commuter Hand Shake!

Hooterville Mayor said...

I may pedal for fun in the snow and ice, but I can't commute. You rock! And, there is NO SUCH THING as too flashy when you're on a bike!