Thursday, September 19, 2013

99

My Grandma turned 99 this week. She also just renewed her driver's license (for 4 years!), lives on her own (in Michigan where the weather is awful half the year), grows a garden, etc. She is my hero. When I got divorced several times I reminded myself that if my Grandma could do everything she does on her own, then I definitely could as well.


These are a few life lessons I have learned from observing my Grandma over the years...
  • Use the nice dishes, burn the candles - don't save it for a special day. Today is special.
  • Get outside. Every. Single. Day.
  • Gardens are good.
  • The best is yet to come.
  • No matter how awful you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
  • Never be afraid to be yourself and speak your mind.
  • Life is not always fair, but it is still good.
  • Be kind.
  • Traditions make life special.
  • Stubbornness can be both your best and worst trait - learn when each applies.
  • Time heals everything. Be patient.
  • Don't compare your life to others - you have no idea what they face.
  • It is never too late to be happy - but it's up to you, nobody else.
Happy birthday Grandma!