Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Recover and Restart

After IM Switzerland I spent 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing triathlon related. Mentally I needed a break from training and everything that comes along with racing. I stayed off Twitter and all triathlon websites. I slept in when I felt like it, went for a swim or run if it sounded fun, and some days planned to go for a ride, but woke up, rolled over and went back to sleep. I went to a French cooking class with my Mom (no danger of me becoming a French chef, but it was fun).


After several weeks Dave and I went for a ride and toward the end we went hard for about ten minutes. It wasn't planned - it just happened, and it was very fun. I saw a glimpse again of how much I love riding, and pushing my body when I'm rested.

I spent last weekend on my CX bike up on some trails in Laguna. You may remember how awesome I was at CX racing last season....I decided I might need to carry on my amazing streak of beating 5-year-olds and race again this off season. At one point during our ride I crashed into the shrubbery and was stuck sideways (still clipped in of course) - like a bug on its back that can't roll over and get up.

I started training again yesterday and I am excited to tackle two final half ironman triathlons this season. We are taking a bit of a different approach to my training for the remainder of the year - less volume, more speed.

7 comments:

Lisa T said...

Oh I know the bug thing well. I've actually had to reach down and take my shoe off before!

solarpowered said...

Haha! That's a great image that's stuck in my head now.

ENJOY the end of this season/the off-season, and the fun you'll have with different challenges!

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

I thought that trail looked familiar! Man, you gotta let me know when you come up this way. Would love to meet up and maybe even chase you on a bike or run. Was that MTB at El Moro?

I love that spot in Capo Beach/DP area too, always so picturesque.

Glad to hear you're resetting and recharging! :)

Beth said...

Well deserved break! Glad you are back, rested and recharged!! :)

JC said...

So nice that you took that time for yourself. So fatten it is craved and not acted on. And welcome back! Love your pics always.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

See you in Austin!

Kiet said...

Just rewatched the video, brought back so many great memories. My how things have changed since early December. Glad to call you a good friend and share adventures.