Monday, July 29, 2013

Kona Update

For those of you who have asked if I made the first cut for Kona - the short answer is no.
  • I ended up 1 slot below the cut (40 points). Soooo close, but not enough.
If a girl declines her slot, I am next in line (this is most likely NOT going to happen). On August 25 seven more girls will be selected. By this time (with the racing that takes place in August - while I am recovering), I most likely will not be ranked high enough.

Disappointed probably best describes how I feel. I failed. Failure is a something I have a difficult time accepting. But when I step back from sport and all the hard effort I put forward, Kona does not define anything in my life. Chasing Kona took me on adventures this year to Melbourne, Frankfurt, Montana and Switzerland where I met some amazing people and raced some of the best girls in triathlon. I saw parts of the world I have never before been to. I have raced Kona 3 times, but I had never climbed on my bike in Switzerland with crazy crowds lining the streets cheering as if I was racing the Tour de France.

The great part about triathlon is that there are a LOT of amazing races out there. Time to go home and figure out what part of the world I want to race in next.

Thanks for those who cheered from afar as I chase dreams. I have a great report from IM Switzerland (mostly about things that will make you laugh and why you might not wish to race 2 Ironmans 3 weeks apart) that I will post this week after I get home to Carlsbad.

This is a quote I have on my website and it applies to so many things in life: love, friendships, work, triathlon, accepting when things don't end up the way you hoped, and living life with no regrets.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.