Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Letting Go

As type-A uber structured triathletes, it can be very hard to LET GO. Of just about anything. Routine, training regiments, actually admitting you are injured and need to take a break, relationships, accepting that a friend is really sick, etc. Change is hard. And scary. As humans I think we all tend to like a comfortable routine to an extent where we know what to expect. As triathlete-humans you could also add a bit of wanting to control all (or many) things around us.

Unfortunately life doesn't always come in nicely wrapped little packages. It gets messy. I've learned that usually right around the time I start to think I have life figured out, oh guess what - I don't. AT ALL. But in many ways - this is what makes it great and exciting. Life isn't all about tons of ducks in a neat little orderly color-coded row (but seriously - how great would that be at times!!). At the same time, this allows us to have spontaneity, unexpected fun and some surprises along the way that I quite honestly would not want to trade. It's usually in these experiences that I learn the most.

Can't Let Go - courtesy Exploding Dog

Somehow over the years I have gotten a bit better at letting go. I really do believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe it is what some people have described as my somewhat annoyingly positive outlook on life, but I tend to believe that everything will ALWAYS work out. And trust me, I've seen some dark days. At age 19 I lost my best friend and really did not know how life would go on. I can honestly tell you that my life is better because this event happened. This is not to say I don't wish like crazy I could have my friend back, but that experience allowed me to change the way I look at the world. It allowed me to live a life with no regrets. And life is good - maybe messy or confusing, but good.

Hope everyone is enjoying some down time around the holidays and when things get stressful with work, life, family, etc. try to just let go. It will all work out in the end.

6 comments:

ADC said...

And if it doesn't it's not the end :))))

Beth said...

It is so true! Life always does work out. I have to remind myself of this often because I usually have trouble seeing past the present into what could be the much grander future. Oscar always tells me "it is what it is and it will be what it's gonna be!" :)

Yogging Charlatan said...

It's interesting that I feel that things probably won't work out and that there's no purpose to anything, but nonetheless similarly appreciate the random good stuff and endless humor of this whole human comedy that we get to experience along the way.

AdventureSteph said...

Shout out from Wi....heck yeah....good post..Sure can relate...at least my past life can :) :)

.i too am fortunate to HAVE HAD many awesome years living, training, racing, sleeping (haa haa!!!) with triathlon, biathlon (yes I ski and shoot rifles) duathlon, adventure racing, orienteering, skydiving (yes,i have A Licensure) Cyclocross, Ultra Trail Running, and Kayaking....

Then, I started a family...

Ohhh let me tell ya.....

It is waaay waaay more challenging being a parent!!!

Yes I raced IMOO, YES, I ran 50k on trails, yes I stayed awake for hrs in Adventure Racing.....
But... No waay....

Lets talk about having to fly by the seat of your pants and go with the flow...ha...thats every minute,

And I am blessed with a phenomenal Healthy Brilliant, and Happy infant!!!

Sooo. ... Yeah....if you see a Momma out there

Smile.(smile at their kiddos.)..(PLEASE DONT TOUCH THOUGH, BIG NO-NO!!!) ..give them a break, say something positive and uplifting, RESPECT them, realize they may not have showered in a week, or slept more than an hour here an hour there...and yes, I may be thinking of 15 things at once all while cuddling a warm babe upon the revered Woobie....

Thanks !!!!
and I thought my 20hr training + FT job was Busy..!!! Ha!!!!

solarpowered said...

Such a true post.
Lately, keeping a positive focus has been a tough but vital thing for me (and my family) after getting hit hard by Sandy. But it's the only way to go on -- and spreading the smiles helps others, too. :)

Amy and Jesse said...

Love your positivity, Charisa! Hope you are enjoying some down time. You are always welcome in Tucson if you want to come train!