Thursday, February 2, 2012

Building Base

This is the time of year I actually have time to focus on some weaknesses, build my base back up, and make sure I am healthy come race season. These are a few things I've been up to in the shoulder season...

I'm trying to get strong! This is my friend Thomas and super dog Eiger. They both motivate me...

Steady bike miles. I'm not doing many intervals right now, but rather spending some hours riding steady on the bike. It doesn't hurt that the weather has been spectacular lately.

Staying hydrated. I don't go through nearly as many calories when I am building base miles, but it's still very dry in the winter. I've been using Nuun to keep up with electrolytes.

Swimming. I haven't actually been swimming in the ocean - but this is a nice picture I figured you might enjoy. I've been swimming in the pool. A lot. I did it twice today. My arms hate me frequently. But I'm getting faster, and stronger, so right now while I have time, I'm sticking with it...

And finally, this weekend I am getting my run gait analyzed by a physical therapist. I tend to get a tight left hamstring and we are trying to fix some weaknesses in order to even things out. I will keep you posted...