Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gnocchi

A few weeks ago I took my Mom to a cooking class. She needs no help in this area - I on the other hand need lots. In particular - we learned how to make gnocchi. I am a HUGE fan of gnocchi. I almost always order it anytime we go out for Italian.

But then after the class there was a lot of this....and I may have forgotten I even documented the gnocchi class on my camera. This is what I learned...

Do not decide to make gnocchi when you are hungry. Decide to make it right after you ate dinner. Because then by the time you actually finish - you will be hungry again.

These are potatoes that were pressed through some expensive machine to make them into small pieces. It seemed like a lot of work to me, but apparently it is an important part of making gnocchi. We added some other green herbs - I honestly don't remember which ones. Probably best to follow a recipe.

We rolled the dough into long pieces and then made small gnocchi shapes on this board.

You're starting to understand the time-intensive-ness - no?!

We also made home-made pesto. 
This actually didn't take long at all, and tasted amazing.

Finally - enough for me to eat! But first we had to boil them for a few minutes.

Voila! Homemade gnocchi.

I really did love making it. Once. And I will always appreciate good gnoochi (and the $ on the menu) next time I order it! I'm also fairly certain there is a reason I'm a professional athlete, not a professional cook...

10 comments:

Kiet said...

You're awesome...so many hats, that's why I like having you as a friend.

Matt said...

oh YUMMY, I love gnocchi!!

Steve said...

2 things. First one, you as a professional athlete get paid to put time into your trade. I like most sports, but always was baffled when people would show up for their season out of shape. i.e. basbeall pitchers come to mind. (coaches too) Not that coaches get paid, but come on, these people are coaches who need their athletes to be in great shape. Why not get in shape yourself??

Second is you are always out there willing to try something new. I definitely respect that.

Hope the fog lifts today. :)

Beth said...

Now I want gnocchi!! ;) Thanks for documenting just how time intensive gnocchi making is. Now I will know it's best to get it already made. HAHA!! :)

Kim said...

gnocchi is hands down my favorite pasta. i would love to make it homemade, but dont think i could!

Christi said...

I have never tried gnocchi so now I really must!

Jason said...

The 'machine' is called a ricer. You can either get the one that you crank or one that you push through (get the one you push through...cheaper and better for gnocchi)

And just for laughs...i thought gnocchi initially said gnome....

Running Bums said...

I;m going to hang on to your advice if I want to make something fancy to cook it AFTER dinner so I don't die of hunger! Looks bomb-diggity!

Angela and David said...

I love, love, love gnocchi. After seeing your post I have even more respect for those top chef contestants that whip it up in so little time.

Libby said...

next time you get the urge to go through that much work, try with butternut squash instead of potato and use sage, parmesan and a brown butter kinda sauce... freakin incredibly yummy!