Saturday, August 6, 2011

NYC Pre-Race

This morning I decided to check out what I have been told is the fastest Olympic distance swim course.

I get to dive off a pontoon. Want to know what I'm most nervous about for tomorrow? -that when I dive in my goggles will fill up with water. I've been practicing my dive entries and I have about a 50% success rate at this...oh well, if they fill with water thankfully it doesn't take too long to fix that.

The swim exit.

I managed to make it on my bike from NoHo to the west side bike path for a ride without killing myself. AND I got a picture of the Empire State Building coming out of my helmet in the process. That takes serious skill. Oh, and I also made it home unscathed.

More awesome self-portraits while running.

Bike parking lot.

Washington Square.

Perfect!!

I've been told it's supposed to pour rain during my race tomorrow...should be fun!

10 comments:

Kiet said...

Charisa! Just got done with my 2 hour run and I am PAU! You dove off at Alcatraz and they stayed on right? If you think about your goggles falling off during a dive, they will fall off, if you just dive, hold a tight streamline at entry, they'll stay on. Will be sending positive energy your way come Sunday.

Beth said...

Oh my - I fretted endlessly about my goggles falling off my face when I did that race! They stayed on just fine though! :) Rain or not, have an awesome race tomorrow! If you can survive biking through NYC, you can survive anything. :) Will be thinking of you!

Steve said...

Good Luck tomorrow, I will be tracking... I mean I will be waiting for the race report. :)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

A little Gorilla glue from Home Depot works wonders..

Also saves on the bike and run transition time since you don't have to put sunglasses on...

Be sure they are tinted though... :)

Have fun!

Snakebite said...

Good luck!

Meg said...

HAVE FUN, you are an excellent athlete in the rain(and the sun) so rock it!!!
We'll be following...

Alison said...

When you're about to dive, tuck your head down and stay streamlined, that should keep the goggles on. If you're really worried about them falling off, and don't mind looking like a total geek - there is a surefire way to keep them on. Put the goggles under your swimcap, then pull the swimcap down so the edge of the cap just tucks overtop of the top of your goggles. Looks super-geeky/newbie but works! Have a great race!

Michelle Simmons said...

I was gonna say the same as Alison- keep your chin tucked down (good streamline!) as you dive in and they should stay on just fine! Good luck and have fun!!

solarpowered said...

Wheee! Have fun today! I so wish I could be up there to cheer you on (love working at the running store, but would've been great to have today off!). Can't wait to hear the details!

Greg said...

I remember that same goggle issue at Alcatraz. I was not worried about the swim or the cold water temp, just the fact I was going to jump off a boat and then try to find my goggles as folks are jumping in behind me. As usual it was just fine and that was a fun race.