Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Journey

I was lucky enough to have Jeff along for my 21 mile run on Sunday. Not only does he make me laugh, but he is also a great pacer and somehow keeps me totally relaxed when I'm running. At one point in the run we were discussing a friend racing IM Canada this weekend. I mentioned how I hope he gets his Kona slot. And Jeff said, "Yeah, well, and if he doesn't it makes it all the better." To which I asked him to explain. He replied that chasing a goal and loving it so much that even if the destination isn't reached, the journey is really what it's all about, knowing that you may or may not reach that final goal - it's the process that is still completely satisfying. (He said all of this more eloquently, but you get the point).

And he is absolutely right. The journey is really what I love about chasing goals and dreams and striving to get better. I realize my NY trip is over, but this was all part of my journey, so I figured I would share a few more photos from a city that I love...

Taking the QR on the subway...


The night before the NYC Tri Steven and I ate at a great Italian restaurant in the village. The food was awesome, but what I loved more was that we sat by the patio and it poured rain the entire time we ate. And then we got to walk home in the pouring rain.

I've actually never had these cookies, but I like the art factor of them piled in the vase.
After that walk home in the rain - we got fancy schmancy lattes.

Focused. Or maybe just trying not to crash my bike in the rain. Thanks to Kevin - a volunteer at NYC Tri, for this photo.

And finally, I'll leave you with a little article that was published in XTri today on my journey.

11 comments:

Kiki said...

I couldn't agree more. If you're not enjoying the journey maybe you should get on another train:)keep the fun in it and you will be successful!

Christi said...

The journey is always the best part even when the journey is not where you thought you were going.

Matt said...

love the post, I a totally agree, the journey is the best part and makes the destination all that much more enjoyable. Love the name of the post ;) we must think too alike....

Steve said...

I love your outlook. I think everything we do, and everything that happens is part of "The Journey". Whether it is our first scared day of school to our greatest accomplishments or to our hardest heartbreaks!! Our lives are all full of this stuff!! I am glad you share like you do!! :)

Xoxo

Kiet said...

I think it's safe to say this friend really gets it about the journey part, more so than ever. FYI, you are one of my most favorite peeps in the world.

Michelle Oddie said...

i really like the last picture posted of you. :)always focused, but you look a little more relaxed or something in this particular photo :)

Damie said...

love the Eggers/Wernick combo. Nice article:) I agree with your friend and would say the exact same thing.

Jill Costantino said...

great article and post. I've had those cookies before and they are TASTY too (not just artsy)!

Jason said...

I guarantee the only odd stares of you and the TT bike were from tourists and not from NYC'ers.

That is a great picture of you watching as the train speeds by.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That is why 95% of us do this, for the journey. I see too many people get caught up and only focus on looking at the finishline, they forget to look around and see the scenry along the way.

Your getting famous, first Lava, now Xtri, congrats

Angi Axmann said...

Hey, I saw those cookies in Venice. I think Venice is fampus for them!!! I should have taken a pic for you :-) Next time!!!