Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Boise 70.3 Race Report

The water in Lucky Peak reservoir was colder than Alcatraz. I think anything below 55 is all pretty much the same - it feels cold, then toes go numb and it's fine.

Photo (c) Tom Robertson
I got in, warmed up, then got out to stay warm on the dock. Haley and I are discussing very important things here - such as starting our watches two minutes before our wave starts, and world events...

 Photo (c) Tom Robertson 
 And then it was back into the arctic for our swim start. 

After several slaps in the head and kicks in the ribs, I found some clean water and feet to cling to. I kept feeling like I wasn't swimming hard enough, but if I swam harder my calves might cramp, so I settled in and followed the girls around the lake. I actually thought we were swimming well. I was warm in my Zoot Prophet wetsuit. When I got out and saw 31 on the clock, I changed my mind about the "swimming well" part. Oh the frustrations of my swim - some day I'm going to actually nail it...

Onto the bike (only photo I've got of the awesome QR and Profile wheels...) it was windy, but nothing like last year. I spent the first 25 miles chasing girls, then hit a really rough section where I felt like death and wanted to puke. Instead I forced myself to eat and kept telling myself I would feel better. Eventually I did, but at that point the girls had ridden away. At about mile 40 I did some very first-grade math and figured I could break 2:30 and that became my new goal. I put my head down and rode as hard as I could. I went back and forth between thinking I was having a great bike and then feeling like I was going to puke and just focusing on riding hard. I came off the bike in 2:29.

Onto the run and my goal was to go under 1:25. The I-just-want-to-puke feeling did not leave when I started running (shocking, no?!). Only this time there was no way any ZipVit gels were going to be kept down. I love them, but puking them up did not sound fun. Knowing I couldn't run an entire half with no calories, at mile three I started grabbing coke and basically ran the entire 1/2 marathon on coke alone. Thankfully it worked.

My friends Brian and Tiedji were on the course cheering, which was awesome. Except I wasn't very smiley like normal. Around mile ten I actually started to feel better and picked up the pace. I reeled in a couple of girls with my 1:27 run to finish 8th in 4:32.

Given how I felt on that day, I'm happy with the race. I learned that pushing the pace when I feel like puking won't really kill me. And despite the amount of uncomfortableness that accompanied my race, I still really loved it. I love pushing myself, seeing how hard I can go, and being a part of a sport that has so many great people in it. Thanks to those who cheered on the run - I may not have acknowledged you at the time, but it was very much appreciated.

 Two races in six days - done & done.

A huge thank you to my sponsors for the support and for being awesome people to work and laugh with.

Next up is San Diego International triathlon here in my back yard, but first there will be some open-water swimming practice...

18 comments:

Jill Costantino said...

Wowzers that was fast! Congrats out there! I don't think I would've gotten in the water with it being that chilly!
Congrats again Lady!

Matt said...

Great race Charisa! Sounds like a solid mental break through as well, knowing how hard you can go even though it feels like you cant :) Solid season thus far!

Christi said...

Great job on the race!

Beth said...

Oh that pukey feeling is nooooooo fun. Way to push through and still go really FAST!! You need to come do Eagleman one year - PROMISE...it will not be cold in any way, shape or form. :) Congrats Charisa!

Molly said...

Great job on your race! I had that pukey feeling on the run this weekend too - blech but you are my inspiration to know I should still run hard through it!

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats! Sounds like a super solid couple of weeks! :)

Hunter Robinson said...

Nice race! You are my inspiration to actually write my race reports from the last three races!

Jason said...

Super Trooper.....two races in 6 days and still racing to a 4:32. Big Congrats to you.

Love how you pushed yourself and what we learn after we get past the fear is awesome.

Congrats again.

Mark said...

Great job and good luck at SDIT! I just pulled out of SDIT to rest some shin splints that have been bothering me, but wish I could be racing along with you! :(

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love the pic of you two sitting on the pier in your matching awesome Zoot Prophet wetsuits!

Congrats on pushing through upset tummy.

Teresa said...

That water was FREEZING!! So proud of you!

Bre said...

Congrats on two races in a week and rocking it! Love all the pics- especially the one on the dock, that's like Canada cold water temps! ;)
enjoy well deserved recovery and can't wait to hear about the next race.

Steve said...

Congrats. I saw on one of the pics your arms are all muscle. Dang girl, you could probaly kick my butt. Stay on the West Coast I am scared of you. :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race and congrats on earning a Pukie, only the second pro to earn one, I will have it posted on Friday

J. L. said...

Great job on the race, and that it was your 2nd in 6 days is amazing! I was one of the age-groupers you talked to in a piece of shade while waiting for the swim. The fact you were so friendly and willing to talk about your racing totally made my first 70.3 experience even better. I told all my age group friends back home "I got to talk to a pro" and they were impressed. So a huge THANK YOU! Definitely made my "bucket list" race more memorable.

Kiet said...

Wow, we must be hanging out more because we are getting the same ailments during racing. I too had the puke/nausea thing going on during the bike on Saturday. Kind of comforting to know I'm not the only one and that I can push it through it. 4:32 with a 1:27 run, you are getting soooooo damn FAST!

ADC said...

Great race again. You are having an amazing race.

Libby said...

great race with some tough conditions with your tummy! nice work!