Friday, May 27, 2011

Swim Progress

If you have read this blog more than once, you probably know that swimming doesn't come easy for me. I've put a lot of hard work and hours into trying to become a swimmer.

I really like this picture of the swim IM Cozumel swim exit because I fought the entire swim (for fear of jellyfish stings!) to stay on the feet in front of me. I worked hard leading up to the race, but also when it counted during the race. And for the first time ever the clock was under an hour.

I've been told the Cozumel swim course is fast, and short. But I also believe that I can repeat a sub-1 hour swim on a different course. Somewhere along the learn-to-swim journey I actually began to believe I was strong in the pool.

And I have started to realize that the more I believe I am a swimmer, the faster I'm able to swim. And the more aggressively I attack the swim in races.

It definitely has not gotten any easier. I still have moments at masters when I think dying might feel better than how I feel during the set, or times when I look over at those swimming in the fastest lane at the pool and wish I understood how they make it look so easy. But it is pretty darn cool to realize that hard work really does pay off over time. So I encourage you to stick with those things that don't come easy - because eventually you will see progress.

9 comments:

Beth said...

I think a big part of swim success in triathlon is the mindset you bring into it. Believing you can hang can make a big difference!! Of course something I still struggle with a lot and have yet to master. Like you said...keep working on it right? :) Love seeing all your hard work pay off!

kT said...

Wow--just the post I needed today! The combination of hard work and belief is key, because one without the other just ain't cutting it. . .

Kim said...

I am not giving up either so it makes me feel good that you are working hard too! I, of course, also heard that about COZ (after I was all excited about my swim) and then I felt a bit de-flatted about the whole thing. However, I, like you, am not giving up! We'll keep working at it and great job on the progress! Keep it up!

Jason said...

Can I just copy and paste this post? I hated swimming when I started and if I had a 2:15/100y in the pool I was happy.

Then something happened. I raced 70.3 CA and did the 1.2 in 40 minutes and thought that wasn't that hard.

The next three OWS for 1.2 have been 34:44, 35:11 and last night 31:59.

I said to myself just swim dude and see what happens. I have no spike in HR, I am not exhausted and I am ready to roll to the next event.

It is like the light bulb went off and I honestly can't wait for the next round of swim sessions from my coach.

Thanks for the post and keep moving those arms and legs....

Kiet said...

And also taking a smart line, open water swim times are so deceiving, a slow time is not necessarily the result a poor effort, just possibly bad luck in sighting and taking a poor line and swimming an extra 100 yards which could be up to a 1:20.

Teresa said...

Agree with kiet. Sometimes open water is luck....especially when it comes to finding feet!

Your hard work is paying off....keep believing!!! tn

Steve said...

Positive post. I like it. It isn't just swim though, it can also be said about life. As we swim through life there are a lot of jelly fish we don't see, and some things are scary, but every day til our last we wake up the next day to start it over again. :)

Oh and yes with help we can sight well, and take a good line too. :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Words to live by!

solarpowered said...

In a much smaller way, I've recently been feeling like I'm making progress in my swim as well. It's an awesome feeling!