Monday, May 9, 2011

70.3 Race Day Nutrition

Everyone has a different formula of what works for them on race day. I know it can take a while to fine-tune it. This is what works for me.
Breakfast is always oatmeal - when I'm racing at home it's steel cut oats in the crock-pot overnight. Otherwise it's some instant thing I can fix wherever. And a banana with peanut butter. I drink 16oz of ZipVit energy drink to wash it all down. I don't drink coffee (gasp!!) - never drink it before training rides, so figure I don't need it race morning. I'm super sensitive to caffeine and before a race it seems to just screw up my blood sugar.
About :30 before the swim start I take a gel.

Bike: Because the ZipVit Energy Gels have 200 calories in them (as opposed to 100 in most other gels), I take 1/2 a gel every 1/2 hour on the bike. So over the course of the bike I take 3 gels, along with 2 bottles of energy drink, and depending how hot it is, 1-2 bottles of water. My final gel on the bike is a caffeine gel, the others are regular.

Run: 2 ZipVit Energy Gels and water. Same thing - the final gel is caffeine. If I am dying I will start using Coke after mile 10 - never before, as it takes me on a wild caffeine high-low crash-feel-good-again ride that does not work for me.

Anyway - hope this helps if you are looking for some 70.3 race day ideas! Happy training/racing!

7 comments:

Steve said...

I just tweaked my hamstring. Race day??? I think I'll just take some aspirin, and maybe a muscle relaxer to keep me fueled.

I am hopeless. :)

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Fueling is the toughest thing to zero in on and it would be tough to find two people that do the same thing....
Personally the beer at mile 25 of the marathon always works for me and something to look forward to...

Heidi Austin said...

Love my steel cut oats.... Yum yum but haven't tried it on race day quite yet...I'm a grandma with my ensure lol

Mike said...

Love me some oats! Hey, I haven't commented lately but I'm still here and thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, and especially enjoy the pics. Keep up the great work!

Christi said...

Thanks for sharing. Nutrition is just as important as all the other training we do!

Matt said...

the crockpot is a great idea, easy and ready for that early wake up call.. just tried the ZipVit gels, they are pretty good!

solarpowered said...

Thanks for sharing this! I've been trying to convince myself to do a 70.3 in September, so knowing the nutrition that works for others is a big help.