Friday, February 4, 2011

The Podium Set

One of my goals this year is to get on the podium. And I'm not referring to top 5 - to me the podium is top 3. In every workout where there are sets, I always refer to the final three sets as the podium set.
These final three sets are always the hardest for me - either because fatigue has set in or mentally I am done with the workout. I see the final three sets of a workout as some of the most important - the ability to eek just a little bit more out of them, in my mind, makes a difference. So when I reach the podium set at the end of a workout and the desire to "just complete" them is trying to take over, I think about the podium at a race and motivation to work just a bit harder to hit the target [heart rate, watts, swim time, etc.] returns. Try it next time you are in a workout and think your legs are done - you just might surprise yourself.

10 comments:

Christi said...

That is a great way to think about the end of a workout. I am going to try that one!

Michelle Simmons said...

I have a workout tomorrow where this thought will come in quite handy. Thanks!

m said...

Great way of thinking! I may try that myself.

Jill Costantino said...

woohoo - looking forward to seeing you at the top of that podium this year! Go chase down those dreams of yours!

Steve said...

Don't give up your secrets!!!! :) Just kidding, what a great idea. I don't think I would think of podium places for myself. It would be enough for me to realize how determined and focused someone like you is, then I can use that as motivation, to push til the end. :)

Everyone thanks you for this one I am sure. :)

solarpowered said...

I can't wait to see you on that podium! You'll be there for sure.

Greg said...

I am looking forward to reading about your upcoming podium moment as your diligent and patient work pays off. It is great to read about someone who is following their dreams.

Bob Almighty said...

Good Tip hope you have a good season this year.

ADC said...

You will get there this season.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I'm a big fan of the power of visualization and I see you on the top spot this year!