Monday, February 28, 2011

Believe

NOTE: A big congrats to IronBob for winning the ZipVit contest. You can read his bonk story in the comment section of my previous post.

Seeing that triathlon has three sports - most athletes have a weakness in one of these areas. Mine happens to be swimming. But before it was swimming, it was cycling. In a big way. It was a good thing I could run, because I had to make up for my sub-par cycling skills. At one point Fast Brian gave me cornering lessons. And I'm pretty sure when he agreed to this he had no idea how awful I was.

I should probably back up here - growing up I used a bicycle to get to my summer job, ride to meet my friends, or get to school. It was never used in a race and most definitely never a tool that would make my legs and lungs scream while my heart felt it might pound right out of my chest.

So when I first took up triathlon I was ok with the fact that I was not a fast cyclist - everyone has to start somewhere right?! But I think after my first year in the sport somehow I got it stuck in my head that I couldn't ride a bike fast.
This picture has nothing to do with this post except that it was captured on a recent ride. And I thought the clouds looked nice.

I realized what started out as my undeveloped sport could become a strong point, but not unless I mentally jumped on board and believed in myself.

Again - cool clouds, no?!

Last year I really began to believe that I can be not just a strong cyclist, but a very strong cyclist. And as I started to believe this, I also started to push myself harder in workouts. I'm excited to kick of the triathlon season here in a month - simply to see what I can bike.

Next time you line up on the starting line - make sure you believe in your efforts 100%. Because when you do, the outcome is often a lot more rewarding.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

This post hit home with me today. Thanks so much! I'm halfway through my training for this upcoming marathon and feeling a little "tired". Today, during my run, I was questioning my goals. I'll put your advice to use! I do KNOW I am capable of a lot, I just need to believe in myself more!

Meg said...

Great message...needed it!!

TRI714 said...

it has to be no less than 1/2 the battle. Probably more. Believe !!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Are you sure your not my long lost daughter I didn't know I have? (What?).. I used to suck at cycling also. It wasn't only lack of aid at Big Foot. It was poor preparation on the bike. (But then I wouldn't have an award winning story) Now I consider cycling my hands down event of IM. Why? Dedication to practice.

Embrace your fears

Thanks for picking the old man. I kind of liked the non tri story a couple above mine

Caratunk Girl said...

I needed this Charisa, thanks. I didn't LEARN to cycle until about 4 years ago (I KNOW, what kid doesn't learn to ride a bike...um..me!) AND so...I never considered myself all that strong on the bike. Great post.

krystyna47 said...

This felt like I had written it, right now. Where you were at not long ago is exactly where I am at right now. I'm just entering a new season having come off an amazing one, sure, but it really showed me how strong my swimming and running are and how disproportionately weak my biking is. So here's to an amazing upcoming season, bike and all!!

solarpowered said...

Great post. I'm working on improving my biking and swimming. I have a lot of work to do :)

beth said...

did you write this for me? :)
by the way...you know how Brian gave you cornering lessons? I know someone who REALLY could use some descending ones!

Steve said...

How did I not win??? I had the best story. HMMMMMPPFFFFFFFF!!!! >:|

j/k :)

ADC said...

Gosh, I am an awful cyclist. Perhaps I need that mentaol strength. Thank you for sharing.

Christi said...

That is a great sentiment and I am going to work on that!

Luke said...

I's glad you have beome a strong cyclist. I have said that I don't know how to ride fast several times this year. I think it is psychological but i am trying to figure out what I need to do to start pushing myself.

Nicole said...

Thanks for your post Charisa! It resonated BIG TIME with me today. Again, you are an inspiration. :)