Monday, December 6, 2010

Wrapping It Up

2010 was my rookie pro year. It exceeded all my expectations. I got my pro card because I wanted to be pushed and race against the best in the world in the sport I love. I believe I still have so much more to give and I am already looking forward to next season.

My season was packed, including 14 races, 12 triathlons of which 3 were full Ironmans. I can honestly say that in each race I learned something.

Such as how swimming smack into large swim buoys (multiple times) does not necessarily result in a fast swim time.

I learned it is possible to run from last place off the bike into the money. And it hurts. But it is so very rewarding to never give up.

I learned that having family, friends, and my 96-year-old grandma to cheer me on at races is incredibly inspiring.

I learned a lot of hard work does pay off. 
Not always immediately, but it pays off.

And having another rookie pro by your side never hurts.

And I honestly believe attitude is everything. I went into this year somewhat terrified to line up at Oceanside next to multiple World Champions. So I determined that the entire rookie pro year would be exactly what I made it. I could choose to make it scary and daunting, or an adventure I would never forget. I consciously decided I would never beat myself up for a race in which I felt I had given 110% on any given day and raced to the best of my abilities. And racing was meant to be fun - so I kept it that way. I hope you will do the same. Racing is a luxury where we can push ourselves further than we thought possible. And at the end of the day - it's still just a race. It is a part of life, but does not define anyone. Happy Offseason!

25 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on a great year

And thank you for the words at the end, I had the worst race of my life on Saturday and this was something I needed to not only read, but to understand.

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats on not just a great season, but a great attitude. I agree, it's all about how we view it. :)

Kim said...

100% love this post. So true Charisa and you did such a wonderful job of accepting the ups and the downs and having it all end in a beautiful place among family and friends.. well, we sure are blessed. Great to share a couple courses with you this year. I hope to share many more in the future!!

Christi said...

Congratulations on a great rookie year! I am truly inspired by you and all that you have done!

Matt said...

congrats on a sucessful first season as a Pro, very inspirational. Enjoy the offseason, and looking forward to seeing ya rip it up more in 2011!

Running and living said...

You've learned a lot, and we've learned a lot from you. Thank you!

Kim said...

charisa, you rock girl. congrats on an amazing rookie pro season!

Snakebite said...

It was almost as fun watching your results in your blog. Congrats on a great year! Thanks for keeping us informed with the training and the races. Have a merry x-moose and a happy new year!

Molly said...

You had a wonderful year and you always have such a great outlook on everything!!! Congrats on all your successes - can't wait to see you do even more next year :-) Enjoy the holidays!

TRI714 said...

LOOKING FORWARD TO 2011 RESULTS.

Heidi Austin said...

great job girl! i think you had an awesome year :)happy off season to you!

Beth said...

Congrats on an awesome rookie pro season. Wishing you many great years to come!

Damie said...

awesome post-
congratulations on such a great year!

andrew said...

Well said.

GoBigGreen said...

Yay! You and CY are both my favorite pros bc you are so grounded:) happy holidays Charisa, Steven and of course Cedric:)

endurancegirl said...

you have the best attitude! congrats on a GREAT year, love hearing how hard work pays off. i believe that!

Meg said...

What a great wrap-up post. I love the positive outlook you have on all of your learning, you are an incredible athlete and person.
I can't wait to see what 2011 brings for you or what YOU bring to 2011!

Teresa said...

Your attitude makes you such an amazing person. If only everyone had the same perspective as you! Keep it up!!
tn

D said...

You rock!

Amanda said...

what an incredible year! and you kept your smile and positive attitude throughout. thanks for all the inspiration :)

Andrea said...

Like! Way to go!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I'm still working on the last few sentences that you shared at the end. You are truly inspiring. I need to learn to put less stress on myself when racing!! I'm not even standing next to olympians when I race either!

Kiet said...

Just echoing what the previous 22 have said. Good on ya Charisa!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Congrats. You are a true pro.

Shawn and Tracy said...

Well said and congrats on a wonderful year. Looking forward to training with you and racing with you in 2011! :-)
Tracy