Monday, November 1, 2010

Inspiration

I spent hours training in a gymnastics gym before I ever discovered swim-bike-run. I prefer the clear-cut you won because you were fastest, not because a judge thought you were perfect approach to competition. However, I still really enjoy watching gymnastics.


This past weekend I was watching the World Championship uneven bar finals while on my trainer. The top two Chinese gymnasts in the finals had medals that were theirs to lose - that's how much above the others their skill set is. They both fell spectacularly, opening the door to the podium.

Next up was a Russian who performs one of the hardest moves on the bars. Basically nobody else can come close. She fell.


Mid-set on my trainer I was thinking WHAT is this?! It's the World Championships and every girl is cracking. And then I realized exactly what it was. Each of these girls made it to the World Championships because they are the very best in the world. They became the best by taking risks along the way. Rather than doing safe routines, they throw in extra flips and twists. The added degree of difficulty makes them the best, and also increases the risk of failing on any given day.

For some reason watching three of the world's best gymnasts fall apart was completely inspiring to me. It made me realize again how stepping out of your comfort zone - whether it be in sport, work, or everyday life can be so very important. And necessary if you want to be great. Don't ever be afraid to fail.

23 comments:

Thomas Bussiere said...

Absolutely love this post – so very true. Thanks for sharing and reminding us to not settle for the normal, but to take a chance for greatness. Reminds me of the scene from the movie “Tin Cup”.

Marit C-L said...

Fantastic!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Totally! Love this story and your takeaway. Brilliant.

Michelle Simmons said...

Great post! YES!

Beth said...

What a great blog post! Thanks Charisa!!

Black Knight said...

Great post. I like the quote: "you won because you were fastest, not because a judge thought you were perfect".

Christi said...

An excellent post and so true! I hope I am taking the chances to get out there and see my true potential!

Amanda said...

"don't ever be afraid to fail"
but so many times that is our greatest fear.
great post.

m said...

Great post!

Angela and David said...

I was also a gymnast back in the day (although I had volleyball in between gymnastics and triathlon). This post is so true. Gymnasts take risks like no other. It's truly inspiring to watch very young girls just go after it.

Damie said...

true, true. I love it when revelations hit like that.

Tawnee Prazak said...

Great post. I had no idea you were a gymnast! Very cool.

I'm taking a sport psych/philosophy class right now, and we've talked a lot about risk-taking. Interesting stuff.

It's all about pushing the limits!

Teresa said...

Very well said. I watched too! Amazing and I miss that sport. But not the judging. You are a cgampuon all around! Tn

Caratunk Girl said...

It is so true - if we don't take risks, we can't keep improving! I love the way you pointed out that it is because these women are pushing themselves that they fell, that they are not scared to take risks to be at the top of their game.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

well said!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Excellent!!1
But if I were the Russian, I think I would have eased into the Gold anyway..... and stepped up the difficulty at the Siberian Open...

Matt said...

great post Charisa!

Hone said...

Great post. I am inspired.

Also those girls are amazing. I cant even do a cartwheel.

Jill Costantino said...

I can't believe I missed this, and I didn't know that you used to be a gymnast too! My old coaches were there with 2 girls! So wish I new it was on.
Totally true about the risk taking, and I too prefer the - you won because you finished first, not because someone thought you should win!
Take those risks lady!
Great post!

Kiet said...

Great great post Charisa. Speaking of taking risks, how is that new swim program and weights coming along?

ADC said...

Great post Charisa. Very often we actually really need to remind ourseleves that it is OK (and sometimes even necessary) to take the risks.

Kim said...

Great advice.. I'll be sure to pull it out on Nov. 28th - so will you!! AWESOME post!

ali said...

Love it, thx!