Sunday, November 7, 2010

Detour

I thought I had my fun weekend of training all planned out. Ian came down and we were ready to roll on our final hard workouts. And then Saturday I woke up with a sore throat.

Detour by Cricket Press.

My weekend-couch-sitting led me to wonder why it is so hard for athletes to embrace unplanned-rest? I tend to think I embrace the off-season and recovery days. I like a good non-training day when the body can soak up all the hard efforts and repair damaged legs, arms, etc. But take me out of action when it was not part of the plan and it takes some work to appreciate that down time. 

The trickiest part of resting when sick is that I never really feel very good. It's not the luxury of sleeping in and lazing around in bed. It's more the necessity to rest in order for the body to fight little evil intruders. Thankfully I get so far behind in my movie-viewing during the rest of the year that sick days offer a bit of time to catch up. Hope everyone had a great weekend with some outdoor-time thrown in! Congrats to those who ran NYC marathon today, it was inspiring to watch, even if only from the couch...

16 comments:

Running and living said...

Feel better. V smart to rest up!

Beth said...

Ugh - I know what you mean! Off season off days are FUN! But off days for being sick or injured, not so fun. Hope you heal up quick - so smart to listen to the body instead of pushing your way through!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh charisa! Jen always tells me that the plan is just that. A plan- it's not the Bible:) Ihope you feel betterand I have been known to delete wkos from TP if I sm suck
or injured. Then they aren't there to remind me what I wanted To be doing!
Feel better soon!

GoBigGreen said...

Haha that was sick. Not suck. But it sucks to be sick:)

Kiet said...

Sorry C, can't offer any advice, I too struggle with unplanned rest, maybe it just helps to know you're not the only one who thinks that way? Stay stress free so your immune system can be firing on all cylinders. Speedy recovery my friend.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oh no, you fell victim to the evil sore throat too. Bummer. I hear you loud and clear. Illness is just plain annoying. Here's to feeling better soon.

Jennifer Harrison said...

OH no!! Get some rest (as you are!). It is that awful time of the year...Jerome is sick, kids have a cough...! ick!

FEEL BETTER!

PS M&Ms help the colds.

ADC said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Ordinarylife said...

Take care and hope you feel better soon!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You know, might be allergies? Two weeks or so until Coz. Maybe try some Claritin? or maybe just wait for a margarita on the beach??

Christi said...

Get better real soon!

Kim said...

Those are never fun but hope you are feeling better.

t-odd said...

Sorry you were illin', I hope it wasn't anything I brought. I had a killer cold a week ago, but that would be one fast acting virus.

Hang in there.

It was great seeing you guys. So fun and funny.

Barbie said...

I hope you feel better real soon. it sure is hard for us to take rest when we dont want it. But sometimes our bodies have a distinct way of making us stop.

Black Knight said...

Get well soon. The sore throat is too bothering.

solarpowered said...

Man, do I know the frustrations of unplanned rest time... Sorry you're not feeling well -- hope you kick it quickly and get back to feeling like yourself soon!