Monday, July 12, 2010

The Taper

Tapering for a race is weird. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who is really good at it. I tend to enjoy backing off the monster miles, but then my brain starts to kick in and question things. Tapering for me involves:

A final ride on the bike, before it amazingly somehow fits into this box:

This is followed by mind games of thinking I need to train more. Thinking I need to train less. Reminding myself I did not spend the past 3 months sitting on the couch. Wondering why I have a random pain in my leg. Realizing my head is being a pain. And usually in the end just realizing I'm excited to go race and whatever the outcome is, I have done the best I can on a given day. We leave for Lake Placid in a week!

14 comments:

Matt said...

Enjoy the down time, in no time you will be kick butt and reaping the benefits on all your hard training! Looking forward to following you online at LP!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I can't wait to follow the race!!

t-odd said...

A taper sounds really good right now. Unfortunately, I have months to go before I get to question all the training and my decision to actually do an Ironman.

Kiet said...

This post made me chuckle. How true Charisa.

Teresa said...

my philosophy is you can't rest enough at this time.....REST :)

tn

Libby said...

yahoo!! good luck charisa!!! enjoy the confusion and excitement of taper time. race day is almost here!!

Tawnee said...

I think you summed up taper to the tee! Dang mind games! Good luck at Placid, looking forward to tracking you guys!!

Yasi said...

Woo, LP! Back to the east coast! I love the top picture, it's a good one.

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

at first i thought you were talking about tapering for vineman...which i'm doing too! but alas, it was for a MUCH larger beast;-) you'll do great!!!

FLATOUT JIM said...

I love taper. Sleep, pasta, sleep, pasta.

Beth said...

Yeah for taper time and for leaving for IMLP in one week! Time to put all that hard training to good use! :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That race came up quickly! You're going to be great!

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

Am I the only triathlete who loves tapering? All the free time . . . Enjoy it, rest up, and race strong!

Lisa T said...

Yay for Lake Placid!