Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wildflower Triathlon Race Report

For those of you who have never been to Wildflower let me set the scene. Rolling hills covered in grass and large old oak trees. A lake that sparkles and crisp dry air. We camp. It's cold at night and warm during the day.

The swim started with chasing girls into the sun. At the first buoy I lost them and spent the rest of the swim alone doing random zig-zag patterns. No swim bet win this time with my 31:31 swim.

Up the ramp and this year the wetsuit came off! HA!

Heading out on the bike I got to chase this Cal speedo boy. He made me laugh. I spent the first hour of the bike feeling terrible. My heartrate was way low and I tried to focus on watts alone, but those were not much better. I got pretty down on myself until I decided an attitude adjustment was in order. Things don't always go as planned and I figured ok - you can put your head back into this race and just enjoy it and do the best you can TODAY, or you can be grumpy and mad. The first option sounded better, so I started focusing on just trying to edge the watts up. It took a little time, but it worked. I started to feel better. I also realized I love racing - and even though my bike wasn't going great, there was still nowhere else I would have rather been than chasing fast girls in a race yesterday morning. I came off the bike after 2:52.

Out on the run and I decided it was another chance to try to run my way back into the race after a frustrating bike. I love running and trail running is even better. Wildflower is mostly all trails - and hilly ones at that. Steven was all over the course (he probably ran 6+ miles yesterday and a ton of hills) cheering and giving me splits.

This is the final up hill. If you look close at the guy's face on my left - that's a good description of the hill. I was happy with my 1:32 run split.

I feel lucky to have Ian along for the ride on this pro adventure. Toeing the line with some of the best triathletes in the world can be somewhat daunting and it's nice that we can pick each other back up after a hard day. And in the end, there is always some laughing.

Kevin got on the podium and almost caught me on the run. I was hoping he would so we could run the final miles together.

I'm realizing that racing Pro is pretty great - most of the fast boys I train with start 5-15 minutes behind me, so I get to see them out there on the course at some point - hopefully later in the race...

Final time was 4:59 - barely eeked under 5, but I was happy I did. 

THANK YOU: TriSports.com for carrying everything tri related. Sable Water Optics - I can see while I swim!! Rudy Project for protecting my head and making some rockin sunglasses that are orange and match my race kit. QuintanaRoo, Profile Design & Zipp for an awesome ride. SCAPE for protecting me from the sun. MicroscopeWorld.com for helping me train amongst work. GU for making awesome flavored gels. SMACK! Media for keeping me in the loop. And of course Zoot - awesome shoes, wetsuit, apparel - just about everything I could need to outfit myself. Except of course if I have to go to a wedding.

A huge congrats to Haley Cooper who raced herself into 6th place in a field that was completely stacked. The girls I race with are all very talented, but they are also a lot of fun.

25 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Congrats Charisa that sounds like a tough course, I am glad you were able to wrap your head around the challenges you faced and finish with a smile.

Be patient, I think your pro journey is totally in its infancy:) and the best part of all is you are happy:)

D10 said...

Way to mentally stay in the race and stay focused. Well done. All the pictures are awesome!!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Great race and race report Charisa! As you said, upping the iron takes time and you're still rebuilding your stores. It sounds like this was an excellent experience all the way around and I love how you picked yourself up on the bike - good to know the tricks the pros use! Congrats to Ian and Kevin too - you guys are so hot in your Zoot wear!

Marit C-L said...

Well, it sounds like you learned A LOT more stuff out there today - than you would have, had it been the perfect race. Way to go Charisa - one more under the belt!!

Molly said...

Congratulations on pushing through on a tough day on a tough course!!! Sounds like you made the absolute best of it!

Amanda said...

i love the attitude adjustment! way to run!

Beth said...

Great job Charisa!! That is so hard to do - turn things around in a race when they aren't going too well. So you should be VERY proud that you were able to do that and then run like the wind off the bike!! It's that mental fortitude that makes you an amazing athlete and will help you to continue to improve!! Either way, sounds like you had a great time! Woo-hoo!! Congrats!

Running and living said...

The toughest races are the best lessons, I think! You handled things so well and are so strong mentally! That perfect race, when things come together, will be here before you know it!

Alili said...

Good job out there! I would love to plod my way through Wildflower someday. :)

Meg said...

I loved how you changed your attitude mid race, that is so hard to do! Fun race, I love your smiles, you look like you're having so much fun!

solarpowered said...

Boy do I know tough races. BUT, you rocked this! Way to go.

And, it's super fun to follow you through this first year as a pro! I'm glad you are enjoying it too!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats!!!

WIldflower is on my bucketlist

Angela and David Kidd said...

Awesome job! Way to get out of your head and change your momentum on the bike.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Wow, that looks like a fun race with the hills and all! I'm glad you decided to do an attitude adjustment. I need to start telling myself to do that when the training gets tough! ;)

jameson said...

way to battle and do what you could. that race sounds rad.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

thanks for your kind words. Looks like your race was a little more fun than mine.... although I am not totally complaining. I love the race outfit. It's great your living the dream. Keep having fun with it... that smile rivals Chrissie's

Terrish B said...

AWESOME PHOTOS!!! GREAT JOB and I am stoked you had so much fun!!!

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Congrats! that is really, really fast. it's a tough course and you rocked it. i'm in awe. dang.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Good on you for fighting and staying in the game. You look like you were flying up that hill. That out and back is a death march.

ADC said...

Great job Charisa.

Jill Costantino said...

Congrats out there way to fight through that mental game. I kept checking for updates on Saturday! It looks so beautiful there!

Liz E said...

i made everyone wait to cheer you in. i'm so excited you got your sub 5! THAT is awesome on such an insanely hard course. And! a 1:30 run at WF is crazy awesome.

sorry i didn't make it to your camp. jet and i were actually on our way but someone stopped us and put glasses of wine in our hands. not good for sleepy people who were in the sun all day. i'm just glad i got a big hug and to see you at the finish.
xoxo

NJ said...

I love how you just decided to make the most of your race despite things not going the way you would have liked. You will learn a lot more that way! Not every day in the "office" can be great.

Heidi Austin said...

congrats on your awesome time. so glad to hear that your are enjoying racing pro... having fun is really what it's all about :)

Runner Leana said...

Great attitude Charisa! You are smiling in all of those photos. Congrats on another great pro race!