Friday, April 2, 2010

Fun in the Sun

This is my back after Kona last October. Those are blisters. From the sun. Painful. Not good for my skin, or my risk of cancer. I applied sunscreen the night before I went to bed, again on race morning and during the race. Guess it washed right off.

My mom had a malignant melanoma when I was little, so I'm very aware of sun safety. I'm the one who takes a little bottle of sunscreen on our long rides and re-applies it mid-way.

A few months ago I found SCAPE. SPF50+ and it does not wash off. I get out of the pool and I can still see it on my arms, blocking out those little evil cancer-causing rays.

SCAPE was designed by Dr. Nic Martens. He has a PhD in biochemistry and loves to surf, snowboard and just be outdoors. Hence the sunscreen career path. He worked for Neutrogena for years and then decided it was time to create products specifically for endurance athletes, including sun care, wound care and muscle care. We are lucky to be able to spend so much time outdoors. Remember to take care of your skin while you're out there. I think when we're all 80+ we'll be glad we did!

15 comments:

D10 said...

Your poor back!!! SCAPE sounds like a great product. Thanks for sharing.

Yasi said...

I'll have to look into this! I just got burnt yesterday, though I deserve it since I didn't put any sunscreen on. Hopefully I didn't burn over it again today (SPF 30 this time)!

Running and living said...

Yikes for your back! Must have been tough the day after the race. I am horrible about sunblock, I only use it on my face. I am lucky bc I have type 4 skin, and I never burn. Still, I need to get better about sunblock, thanks for the reminder!

SSB said...

I just heard about that brand. Nuetrogena is my current fave but I will have to check out Scape. And I got a talking to by my doctor about my tan lines. I really do use sunscreen too.

FLATOUT JIM said...

OUCH My back feels hot just lookin at it.

So where do you get this stuff?

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

thanks for the heads up. IM St George in 4 weeks. I'll have to get some. Have a feeling it will be sunny in the high desert..

AM-GoalsfortheWeek! said...

Thanks for sharing this brand w/us. I like Kineysis (sp?) and Will def look into this as well.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Ouch! That's one painful looking burn. Glad you found a product that works! Thanks for sharing.

Kiet said...

Great post, I'm always on the lookout for better sunscreen.

cat. said...

i LOVE that stuff. i've been using it for over a year now and it's the bomb. what i love is that i can put it on my forehead and it doesn't run into my eyes. : )

Meg said...

Thanks for the reminders and for sharing about your mom. I can't wait to try SCAPE, thanks!

Teresa said...

Thanks for the referal! I will be using shortly!

tn

Heidi Austin said...

thanx for sharing.... ouchies that sux. i'll have to try this out :)

Chloe said...

Thanks for sharing that! I'm always trying out new sun screen. I'm all about avoiding the sun burn blisters!!

Angela and David Kidd said...

Okay, where can you purchase it since I can't find it on their website? I was just about to purchase our annual sunscreen load and I usually rely on Blue Lizard from Australia but this sounds even more hardcore.

Hope you are feeling better!