Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The German Coffee Machine

Hillary and Maik (also known as the GCM - that stands for German Cycling Machine, not to be confused with German Coffee Machine) were super gracious in letting Ian and I stay at their desert oasis while they were off racing the Abu Dhabi Tri.

Maik owns this amazing German Coffee Machine.

Day #1 - Ian and I just looked at it, scared to touch the beauty for fear we might break it.
Day #2 - I tried to press a few buttons, but nothing happened except for lights turning on.

Hillary sent an email encouraging us. "Use it! It's super easy and makes great coffee!"

Day #3 - Training was piling up and caffeine sounded like a great necessity. I think Ian's words were "Your job is to learn how to use that thing today!"

One would think I might know a bit of German since my coach is German. Unfortunately all I know is "Schnell!" (This means hurry! in German) And I can count to ten.

With Ian sitting in front of my laptop with the owner's manual along with Google Translator, we were able to produce this without breaking anything!

Thanks GCM and Hillary!

17 comments:

SSB said...

So does German made coffee taste any different?

Meg said...

It does look complicated but I'm sure the coffee is great! Please tell your dad thanks for the advice, he's really helped me out.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

SURE, any old German machine can make coffee!! But can it do a 5 hour bike split???

Jill Costantino said...

That's awesome! I love how the 2nd day you pushed the buttons! Too funny!

Sue said...

So, did you use the famous Doma coffee I sent them or a different brand:)??

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Oh man - nice work! That sounds more difficult that some of the training ;) Well - almost. Let's be reasonable here.... Hopefully the coffee was GREAT!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Score

FLATOUT JIM said...

That looks pretty yummy, I wish I had me some right now.

Kiet said...

This was such a funny story, I totally can visualize all of this going down, great scene.

Hillary said...

OMG I love it! Not sure if this or the picture of you in Hillary pose on the living room floor makes me more proud. And Sue,the DOMA is LONG GONE... You can't send coffee like that here and expect if to last very long. :)

Rebecca DeWire said...

What a funny post. That coffee machine is super intimidating! Glad you got it too work.

IAN said...

"BEREIT" Yes!!!

Beth said...

This is so funny! Thank God for Google translator! HAHA!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I'm a veteran latte maker though our machine is Italian - that one does look a little daunting! Way to dig deep and make it produce the elixir of life!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I absolutely adore German coffee! I'm going to miss it when we move back! Maybe we should get one of those. It looks really expensive though! Nice!

ADC said...

Oh that looks like a great coffee machine. Hope the coffee was good.

Silvi said...

Love it! Especially the mid pic- where the display says SPRACHE- that means language :-)

Jura is one of the best coffee machine brands! Yummy!

By the way... who is your coach in GER?
Ciao Silv