Monday, December 14, 2009

Why I Like to Commute by Bike


  1. The bike lane is always wide open. I also enjoy saying (in my head!) HAHA Suckers! as I fly past the long line of cars stuck in traffic.
  2. Hot coffee tastes better after a cold bike commute.
  3. Wave at a fellow cyclist at 7am and they will wave back. They might even say "Nice morning!" Wave at a fellow car commuter and they will think you are crazy.
  4. Jumping in the pool at 6am when it is 40 degrees on deck feels like a hot tub if I've just biked up a big hill. It feels like the arctic if I just got out of a warm car.
  5. I might get the chance to race on the way to work!
  6. The trees, grass, flowers, clouds all look better from my bike than my car. Probably because I am forced to slow down and notice them more.
  7. I can almost do a track stand at a light on my bike.
  8. I also sometimes almost fall over - most likely providing a lot of laughs for car commuters!
  9. I do not have to go to the gas station as often.
  10. I get to ride my bike more.

18 comments:

cheryl said...

That really is a sweet commuter bike you have! I keep wanting to get something new and fun, but it sits out in all kinds of crap weather and gets trashed.

Running and living said...

Love the bike, love the attitude! My husband bike commutes even in the dead of the New England winter! Your commute sounds much nicer, though:)

Teresa said...

You live in the perfect place to be able to do such a wonderful thing. Glad you take advantage of all the beauty and fun along each commute!

tn

MM said...

Love the color coordination. I'm going to perfect the trackstand next year.

Rebecca DeWire said...

Reading #1 about HAHA Suckers totally made me laugh because my husband is the same way! He bikes on a trail right next to the highway and he often goes faster than all the cars.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I loved the "chase" story, that was great

t-odd said...

Still love your sweet ride.

Hooterville Mayor said...

I do not envy your youthful energy and all the races and things that you perform with such reckless abandon, and success.

I do however have just a titch of envy when it comes to your commute, and in such nice weather. But then I read from which you write, and share in a touch of your eager enjoyment, so that even the snow here looks just a bit more lovely in the moonlight.

(from indoors, of course)

:)

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

I love #7. I'm curious about your bike. Can you tell us more about it? Are you unable to brake or coast? I'm wondering if that's what the rest of us need to add to our training/playing regimes.

Jill Costantino said...

I heart your bike. You are doing wonderful things for our environment!

Trishie said...

that is such a sweet bike! I'd really like to commute, but I'd have to go through some super shady parts of the city and I wouldn't feel safe :( it's too bad b/c work is only about 15 mi away

Stacy said...

I'm SO jealous of your bike commute! Just won't work-out for me :(

GoBigGreen said...

7. WHOA. TrackStand? You rock.

Lisa G said...

Good reasons! How long does it take you to bike to work?

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a most excellent list!

And love how color coordinated you are...my hero *swoon*...and you can (almost) do a track stand.

Is there no limit to your talent?

ADC said...

And those are the reason I love bike commuting - but I can't do the track stand :(

rocketpants said...

Track stand...sweet! I'm sooooo not coordinated to even attempt to try that on my fixie. I take it that you are enjoying it in fixed gear mode? Fun!

rocketpants said...

Track stand...sweet! I'm sooooo not coordinated to even attempt to try that on my fixie. I take it that you are enjoying it in fixed gear mode? Fun!