Friday, December 4, 2009

Gooooo Dad!

My Dad and I ran our first marathon at Chicago in 1996. It took us 4:14 to cross the finish line. We wore cotton t-shirts and didn't know anything about taking GU while running. Somewhere along the way we learned a few things.

As we got a little faster and found a love for running, we both dreamed of breaking 3 hours. Between the two of us, my Dad has come the closest with a 3:02.

On Sunday my Dad will race the Cal International Marathon with his sights set on 2:59. He's fought a few injuries and will toe the line with compression shorts and kinesio tape galore. But don't let that fool you - he is FAST. I can't keep up with him at track right now.

I'm doing a long run on Sunday, then racing home to track online. His name is Ken Bauer if you want to track too!

18 comments:

Meg Runs said...

I just love your dad, he's so positive and friendly. Can't wait to track him, thanks for his full name!

Jill Costantino said...

Go Ken! Can't wait to watch him do it! What an inspiration!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

VERY cool!!! Ill be cheering for him too :) My dad is a tough one too - I love that!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

YEA Charisa's Dad!!! GO KEN GO!!! Sending all my good thoughts and fast race vibes his way! :)

ducky said...

How old is your dad and has he always been a runner?

kera said...

that's great hon that you guys share a love of this sport! good luck to him!!

Beth said...

GOOOOOO Dad!! ;) How fun. Fast runs in your family!! :) We'll be sending our cheers from Pittsburgh!

Mary Eggers said...

may the wind be at his back for all 26.2 miles! GOOOOOOOO DAD!

Roo said...

GO DAD!

Runner Leana said...

Good luck dad!!!!

Mama Simmons said...

That's awesome! I hope he gets his goal. Then it'll be your turn. ;)

GoBigGreen said...

Dad's are the best! GO Charisa's Dad GO!!!

solarpowered said...

That's so cool. I really wish my dad could still run. It's awesome you can share this running and tri stuff with him! Good luck, Dad!

ADC said...

Yay, how did it go? I am off to look at the results :)

Trishie said...

Good luck dad !

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

We'll be rooting for him!

MM said...

Go go Charisa's dad!! go go

Rebecca DeWire said...

Good luck to your dad, I can't wait to hear how he does! I hope his injuries don't act up during the race.

I also just love that pic with the fist pound. My husband and daughter (who is almost 2) have a secret handshake which includes the fist pound and it totally cracks me up.