Tuesday, November 3, 2009

World Golf Championship

A little known fact about Kona: there are actually not one, but TWO World Championships that take place the second weekend in October. In the days leading up to Ironman, the 54-hole World Golf Championship took place.

This year's Championship talent was deep: Jeffrey and my husband Steven.

18 holes were played on Thursday and the final 36 holes on Friday, after swimming much of the Ironman swim course. Keep in mind these boys then spent the entire day Saturday chasing me around the island for that other race.



This is Steven's eagle putt that helped him clinch the 2009 title.

I believe Jeffrey has been hitting the driving range each evening in hopes of reclaiming the title (and bragging rights) next year. Despite his rigorous golf training, he was still able to run a 2:51 NY marathon two days ago.

10 comments:

Beth said...

54 holes of golf????? Geez - I can barely make it through 18 holes of putt-putt. ;) I guess a love of all things endurance runs in your family. :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I suck at golf, even on playstation I suck, no one sucks when it comes to PS sports, except for me and golf. People say its relaxing, I dont see it.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a great competition! Endurance golf :-)

Congrats to your friend on the super fast marathon...makes me tired just reading that time.

MM said...

I think you forgot to mention all the beer they drank while competing. that makes is even more impressive.

tell jeff I said congrats on NY.

Trishie said...

so much fun !

solarpowered said...

Whoa. How does Kona handle all these major sporting events in one weekend??? Awesome. ;)

Congrats to S on his win! And to your friend on his kick-ass NY time!

beth said...

54 holes is no joke. i think ironman may be easier!

great job steven!

ADC said...

Steven is so funny.

Kim said...

That is awesome! Who knew!! Way to go Steven!

Roo said...

I need a warning when Steven's going to yell in to the camera like that.