Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ironman Canada Update

A huge thanks to everyone who cheered for my Dad this past weekend at Ironman Canada. He ended up setting a PR of 11:45, but having a rough second half of the day. 9th in his age group and unfortunately the Kona slot did not roll that far. This is not all bad - it just means there will be all the more Ironman races we can do together as he continues the quest to qualify!

After a 1:20 swim PR (No, Dad is not exactly the fastest swimmer out there - he is pretty sure I can swim faster than him because I was a lifeguard in high school while he had a "real" job when he was in high school. I think he also mentioned something about walking up hill in the snow both ways to school . . .) he set out on the bike feeling good. Some leg cramps at mile 75 forced him to stop six times. But he got trudged on was prepared to run a steady marathon.

He spent the first 13 miles of the marathon puking. I am amazed he ran a sub-4. So the PR was great, parts of the race were not, and my Dad is still fired up to go to Kona, so we're working on a revised plan.

My friends Allan and Kevin were also shooting for Kona slots. Allan had a rough day and still went 10:35 for 15th. Unfortunately, rolldown was not on his side either. Kevin went 10:09 - a PR for him that put him in 14th. He snagged the final rolldown slot in the M30-34 age group!

So the three musketeers are headed for Kona together!

15 comments:

Beth said...

I can see good runners run in your family! :) Under 4 hours in the marathon while puking for the first 13 - amazing!!! Congrats to your dad and your friends. I guess you will have to keep qualifying for Kona!!

D10 said...

Congratulate your dad! he did a great job and fought his way to the end. Well done.

D said...

I can not tell you how many people I heard puked (and multiple times) out there yesterday. Definitely a record.

So AWESOME for Kevin. I'm glad I finally saw him, even if only with 4miles to go.

t-odd said...

Too bad he didn't qualify, but great he PRd even while puking his guts out for the first 13 miles or so. Congratulate him and your other buds.

Running and living said...

You certainly have the ironman gene. And tell your dad that kids are supposed to be faster than parents, among other things:)

Mama Simmons said...

It's so cool that Ironman is in your family blood! :) Congrats to your dad on his PR, even on a rough day!

GoBigGreen said...

Wow, Dad will be back. You know it! And my dad made us walk to school when it was below zero too. Hahaha, surprised i went to college where it was just as cold!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

He finished just behind me!!! I probably saw him puking, I saw many men tossing their cookies out there Sunday.
Sorry he didn't get his Kona slot :(

Teresa said...

Congrats to your dad! A PR is a PR and he did it! Kevin finished right in front of Mark....too bad I don't know him, I could have cheered him on!
Fantastic job to you and the 3 musketeers!
-tn

Roo said...

Congrats to them all. Can't wait to celebrate with Kevin! We'd better get a celebration in soon before he has to start that Kona training!

ADC said...

Wow, that is a great result for your Dad. Of course there is always next year and I am sure you two will rock it together in Kona one day.

IAN said...

Hell YEAH!!

Kim said...

That is so amazing about your Dad. Tell him a big congrats! What a day and he just kept going for it. A sign of a true Ironman!! Congrats to your friends too! That will make it even more special!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations to everyone! I heard a lot of puking stories too. How amazing that he barfed the first half of the marathon and still cranked out an awesome time.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bummer that your Dad missed out on the Kona slot but how great that some some PR even with those challenges!

Give Kevin a hug for me! So happy for him.