Sunday, August 2, 2009

Palomar & Friends

Steven made his Palomar climb debut yesterday. He hit the summit right behind me and I heard "Is this the top? SWEET, I thought we had another mile!" He rocks.


At the top of Palomar!

A good group of friends.

I love how Lisa looks like she is posing for a panty hose commercial here. Also, there's a great story about Lisa and Jesse's adventures that continues here.

Ian and I are not in Japan - there are really little lanterns at the top of Palomar.

A view on the descent.

If you look closely at this picture you will see two of the best training friends a girl could have. And yes, this is how they usually look when I train with them - small specs on the horizon. Two amazing athletes that inspire me to push myself in training.

Following Palomar there was some running, dinner, sleep and then a long ride today. Ian and Kevin did all of the same workouts I did, only faster.

Today's ride was not exactly pretty. I spent the day grabbing desperately for a wheel, hoping to hang on, only until a small mountain (or overpass) spit me off the back of the bike train. Multiple times Kevin and Ian waited or circled back to pick me up and pull me back into the pack. If you don't ride bikes the wonderful-ness of this act alone is hard to describe. To me it is comparable to falling off the merry-go-round, spending a while by yourself with scraped knees and tears in the dirt, then having your big brother come scoop you up and make life wonderful again.

I captured this shot as we blew by the beach on our bikes. At the time I think I wanted to throw my bike in the ocean and sit in the sand - maybe even with a bit of pouting thrown in. By the end of the day I wanted nothing more than to have spent the day exactly as I did - on my bike with my friends.

15 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Ouch! Your training is coming along so well but sounds, well, painful... but that must be why you are doing so well! Training buddies make all the difference - it will pay off big time for you in Kona!

rocketpants said...

Sounds like a great weekend on the bike! It is nice when people circle back to pull you back onto a ride. Got some great friends to ride with!

D said...

I have a pro staying with me right now. He keeps wanting to train with me to which I laugh and laugh and LAUGH. I'm giving in tomorrow morning for a bike and run... should be... ummm... interesting.

Maggs said...

I have that same jersey :-) Can't wait to climb Polomar next spring :-)

ADC said...

You were not in Japan???? That's a real shame ;)

Renee said...

I would have had a hard time passing that beach without stopping! Great pictures!

t-odd said...

That sounds like a real nice bicycle ride - Straight Fricking UP! I kind of wish I had a climb like that around here.

(I think I may have insulted Roo's foot on her blog - I am sure it's not that big in real life - is it?)

jameson said...

solid weekend... if you ever need any more friends to climb palomar with just say the word... i love that climb!

the word verification is kind of funny: candyno

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Go Steven! That's so awesome.

As for you, my friend, wow. You rock. What a weekend. And yeah for Kevin and Ian being the best kind of friends!

IronBob said...

Thanks for stopping by. I think I am going to add you to my blog list. With a little osmosis maybe some of your "fast" will rub off on me through the blogisphere.

Roo said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHa to the pantyhose. My least favorite thing in the world. Couldn't pay me enough to wear them. Besides, my feet are too big.......and I'd get them all greasy.

When I rode by those two silos on the way down I thought to myself that you'd probably take a picture there. Most beautiful spot of the day.....

Cy said...

Nothing beats EPIC training challenges shared with friends. That's what its all about-LOVE IT!!

Enjoy your well deserved recovery day :-)

Meg Runs said...

I've always wondered what was at the top of Palomar Mountain.

Like Roo, I always run by something(since I don't bike or swim...yet) and think, "Hmm, Charisa would love that or Charisa would probably take a picture of that!"

Ordinarylife said...

wow - you smile when you get to the top of a mountain! I am seriously impressed.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, looks like a beautiful ride! Great when you can share that with friends. Love the merry-go-round analogy!