Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Headed to Oregon

Tomorrow I fly to Portland. Saturday morning at 1:30am I will run my first of three legs in the Hood to Coast relay. I have wanted to do this race for over 10 years. Somehow it just never fit in the schedule, or I didn't know anyone on a team, blah, blah - it never happened.

This year I'm sure it was meant to be. In March I got an email from Kevin (whom I did not know) inquiring if I'd race on his Hood to Coast team. Not just any team - he was trying to build a winning mixed sub-masters team. My initial response was "YES I want to, but I can't!" I had been planning to race Ironman Canada. The only way it could happen was if I somehow got a Kona slot in April at California 70.3.

Getting the Kona slot ended up being more than exciting. Not only because I would race Kona again, but also because it opened the door for Hood to Coast.

You can view a live camera from the beach finish in Seaside here. Our team is called Slug Hunters should you wish to look up results. I'm hoping to post some random sleep-deprived blogs from my phone.

I am the anchor on our team - which means I have been given the honor of running the final leg #36 onto the beach around 3pm Saturday afternoon. Oh, and if it's a close race, it also means I need to run like the wind!!

24 comments:

Chloe said...

Oh man - I would LOVE to do that race! One of my training partners did it years ago! Have fun!!

t-odd said...

I too would love to do that race. I had some friends do a Ragnar relay last weekend and they said it was a lot of fun. But I want to do the grandaddy of relays.

I would gladly join a team of strangers to take part although I doubt anyone would ask me to anchor their team. Unless by "anchor" they mean "to drag down."

Have fun!

cat. said...

you run like the wind anyway, so they picked the right gal for the job!!

have a wonderful time, it sounds like a great adventure!!

: )

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

What an honor to "bring home the bacon". I have a feeling your team will do it.
Have fun

IAN said...

You better KILL IT! I am missing Palomar for this!!

Running and living said...

Awesome! Glad it happened for you. Good luck! Ana-Maria

Lisa G said...

Cool! Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck!

Maggs said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about it.

Kim said...

You can do it Charisa! You'll be great. You're an amazing runner so this is right up your alley! Have fun and we'll be rooting for you (and your Dad!! What a story! I hope he gets the slot!!)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I have no doubt that you'll bring it home, run like the wind, and have an awesome time in the process! You'll do GREAT!! I'm SO CHEERING FOR YOU!!!!!! :) YEA YEA YEA!!!

Beth said...

Have fun Charisa!! I've heard such amazing stories about this race so I can't wait to hear yours!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I am so psyched for you! Slug Hunters...love it!

D said...

I'm pretty sure IMC is gonna be WAY more awesome than stupid Hood to Coast, but it's your decision. A decision you will have to live with for the rest of your life. ;P

Tawnee said...

No doubt you're going to rock. What a weekend for you and your dad! Love it.

Meg Runs said...

HAVE FUN! I can't wait for the pictures!

rocketpants said...

oooh have lots of fun! I tried to figure out a way to get on a team this year. Maybe next year.

GoBigGreen said...

I think there are some MN teams there from Run n' fun. Say hi when you run by them:)

Roo said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ADC said...

Sounds like an awesome race and I have no doubts you will do great. Have fun.

Cy said...

They picked the right person for a winning team. Have a blast!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Wow, just WOW! Enjoy and I am sure it will be GREAT run training for Kona!

Haley Cooper said...

Hood to coast is the most bizarre fun you can have. Especially around 3 in the morning when you've just finished running a 10km in the dark. A change of clothes and a granola bar later you gaze into the darkness only to see a train of glowsticked bodies running into nothingness. What a blast. Run hard!

solarpowered said...

Have a blast! I'd love to do that race one day!

Alaskan Assassin said...

Tear it up my bud Zach will be out there running it as well. I wanted to do it but did not have the cash.