Monday, August 24, 2009

GO Dad!!

In 2001 I was introduced to Ironman thanks to my Dad. He signed up and trained for IM Lake Placid. At the time I don't think I even owned a bike. The night before the race I was so nervous for him I hardly slept. I was pretty sure my Dad might die doing this insane event!! His big-picture goal was to go to Kona. At the time I really had no idea what "Kona" was.

Race day was crazy and immediately I wished I was racing. All day my mom and I ran around with the signs I made and cheered like mad women! It was hot and later poured and some of the athletes looked like death. But not my Dad - he looked strong. Toward the end he got a calf cramp and the run turned slightly ugly.

I remember watching him come through the finish chute and being so proud. The most exercise most of my friends Dads get is from golf. Not my Dad - he is an Ironman!

Since 2001 we have raced IM Coeur d'Alene together twice. Last year when I raced it my Dad ran around the course all day giving me splits. He even stood at the top of the evil little turn-around-hill out at the far end of the course to cheer - not just for me, but for all the athletes.

On Sunday my Dad is racing Ironman Canada. He is ready. If you are spectating at IMC this weekend please cheer for Ken Bauer #1926!! His big picture goal changed a few years ago from "racing Kona" to "racing Kona with my daughter." I can think of nothing better!

27 comments:

Running and living said...

This is inspirational, and unique. Your dad must be as proud of you as you are of him. Hope the dream comes true! Ana-Maria

Molly said...

Your dad is awesome!!! What a rock star. Good luck to him at Canada!!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is so touching on so many levels...I do believe I'm getting choked up here. Your dad is amazing. I see where you get it.

endurancegirl said...

sooo cool that you share that passion with him! I'll be there, and sure to cheer him on if I see him!

cat. said...

fantastic!!! what a great story. i'll be cheering for him virtually on sunday. : )

Rebecca DeWire said...

I think this is the first father/daughter IM duo that I have heard of!!! This is really cool and is an interesting perspective of how your father's IM affected your life. I often read blogs where parents wonder how time away training for IM will affect their kids; all I can say is that for you it had a really positive effect!

t-odd said...

That is SO cool! What a great dad. I hope my kids want to race with me someday. Now I have someone to track. Tell him good luck and to have a great race.

Meg Runs said...

Your dad is so supportive and wonderful, I hope he does well!

D10 said...

Sweet post! I will be cheering for your dad from North Carolina.

Lee said...

What an inspiring story
I'll be there and will keep an eye out for him - to cheer him on!

GoBigGreen said...

Whoa! GO DAD!!!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

As a Dad, I'm sure he would think that would be sweet.
My dream is to have my sons (all three) do Escape From Alcatraz with me (I've done 3), but at 11 to 16, they haven't really caught the triathlon bug to the degree to make such an attempt.
Go DAD!!

D said...

Damn rights he's ready! And forget cheering for "Ken"... I'll be cheering for "DAD!" :) (ummm let him know so he doesn't think I'm totally crazy)

Maggs said...

Awesome. I'll be sure to track him online. Hope he makes it to Kona!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Love the title, love this post! :) I am SO cheering online for your Dad - he'll do GREAT!!!!

Alaskan Assassin said...

Awesome. I will be sending your pops good vibes during the race.

ADC said...

I can't imagine anything better in my life then racing with my Dad. You must be so proud of him. Go Ken Go!!! Tell him we are cheering all the way from London.

Beth said...

So cool!! I'll be cheering for your dad this weekend (virtually of course). How fun would that be for you both to race in Kona this year!!!

Roo said...

GOOOOO DAD!!!!!!

Shan said...

OMG, that's FABULOUS! I'll be cheering for Dad Bauer all the way from Burning Man!! :)

IAN said...

Ken is going to STOMP IT! That will be so awesome to have him (and KJ) racing Kona with us! Great post, he must be stoked!

Teresa said...

I will be there...cheering strong! I will search like crazy for him. Go #1926- Kona bound!!!

tn

solarpowered said...

That.is.awesome!

My dad was a big runner when I was a kid, and I wish he could run with me today. A knee problem prevents that, but he's one of my biggest cheerleaders at all my major races.

Caroline said...

This post gave me chills! So inspiring!!! GO DAD GO! I will not be there but I'll be following him online. All the best to him on race day...and I can't wait to meet him in Kona ;)!

kera said...

Hon that's awesome!!! How many people can say that their dad was the inspiration for getting into all that madness?!!! I hope you 2 will be racing together in Kona!!! Good luck!

Cy said...

Oh, I just love this: "racing Kona with my Daughter". Best of luck Ken!!!

t-odd said...

Hey - just saw your dad's time - I hope I have a time like that. 9th in his age group! That is pretty fricking impressive. Hope he gets a Kona slot.