Saturday, August 8, 2009

End of the Road


New scenery made my ride fairly fantastic today.





My Google-maps route had me turning on this road. I was somewhat fearful of how many high mountains it might take me over. Turns out much of the road is a false flat - I felt as if I was going backwards on flat ground for over an hour. Thankfully the scenery was awesome and the lack of cars even better.


My first planned route was scrapped and I resorted to "Plan B route" when I realized the road I was going to turn on was gated. And dirt.


Hi Mountain Road finally started to look like it would take me over a mountain pass, instead of just taunting me with false flats. Shortly after I took this picture I rounded a corned and said several bad words out loud, to no one in particular. I'm not sure what the actual % grade was, but I did the paper route all the way up. At one point I thought I was going to have to walk the Kestrel up, it was so steep.

This is what I found at the top of my paper route. A large yellow sign that was laughing at me. The only good part was being able to scream down the hill again, in about 1/3 the time it took me to climb it.


Thankfully, the more tired my legs got, the more beautiful the scenery seemed to get.


I am not ashamed to admit that when the tandem train, being pulled by a couple twice my age came charging by and invited me to jump on, I gladly did so.

9 comments:

t-odd said...

Beautiful scenery! Gotta love a tandem. Nice way to start the weekend.

Beth said...

Nothing like doing the paper route up hills!! We have several around here that I have to weave on...like you said though, at least you had really nice things to look at while doing so!! :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

They should most definitely give a heads up warning about pavement ending!

Roo said...

Gotta love the tandem train.

You really think I was together enough to ask for an autograph? And a photo, come on, who would lug a camera up Palomar? Heehee....

ADC said...

That is soooo beautiful. Nice ride!!!

Kim said...

What a beautiful ride! I laughed about the part where you sore because it got steep..geezz... You have such a great attitude. That's why I love reading your blog!!

Rebecca DeWire said...

The tandem train is sweet! I have always wondered what it would be like to ride a tandem with my husband.

The dirt road thing happened to us a lot when we lived in NC. Now that I live near Philly I have yet to find any dirt roads. Looks like you have awesome roads for riding.

Colleen said...

gotta love the older couple tandem! haha!! my paper routes have also gotten me to dirt roads... sounds like a great adventure!

Ordinarylife said...

wow - what a beautiful area!