Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Commercial Art

Apparently I don't get out much. While running errands I was mesmerized by the number of towels in the store - it seemed more like art than a practical "in-stock" item. How often do you suppose someone comes in on any given day and purchases 20 towels in "buttercup" or "cappuccino"? What was amazing to me was that these towels were available in just about every rainbow color and shade. Need 35 neon orange towels? No problem!

This gnome candle had my name written all over it. Seriously - who doesn't want one of these!! However after considering the gnome would be hat-less after burning the candle, combined with the fact that there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to pay $40 for some candle wax sneakily shaped like one of my favorite characters, I left him on the shelf.

11 comments:

cat. said...

i love seeing the world through your eyes!!

Meg Runs said...

What?? Passed up the gnome candle AND the funky cat with the tilted head??

Good luck this weekend!

P.S. I agree with Cat's comment above.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

I work in Retail and our new thing is put EVERYTHING we have on the sales floor! I wasn't there to hear the reason why, or ask why, I just know we can't have much in the backroom. So our shops looks like that, but with running accessories :-)

t-odd said...

I would love to see that candle as it burned down through the poor gnomes face and beard. But what a waste of $40 just to see that - poor gnome. (My word verification is "trock" - I think that would be a good name for the gnome candle.)

Roo said...

Where the heck were you that had that many towels?

Teresa said...

Yes, where were you?! I love the gnome, but great restraint! Now you can go buy some new running shorts or somethin'.
tn

ADC said...

Just thinking the same thing about the gnome. $40!!! Seriously?

FLATOUT JIM said...

See, a guy would buy the candle, make a mould, buy some wax off ebay, make about 100 candles, sell them to our buddies to give to their wives, charge 10 bucks a pop and make 960.

NO WE wouldn't, we would drink beer and complain about how stupid a 40 dollar candle looked.

Snakebite said...

Did someone say "cappuccino?"

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I bet the towels were at bed bath and beyond and the candle was at smith and hawken :-)

Charisa said...

Kathleen got half of it - Bed Bath & Beyond / Anthropologie.