Sunday, July 12, 2009

Carlsbad Triathlon

Steven and I switched roles today. He raced the Carlsbad Triathlon, I photographed, spectated and cheered. Last year Steven, the twin and older brother all raced their first triathlons together at Carlsbad. His goal this year was to beat last year's time.

My goal was to do an adequate job of capturing the day through images. I found the first hour to be rather relaxing. I could set up my shots, take my time, etc.

Steven made my job easier by making faces during body marking.

Success #1 came when I actually captured him exiting the water. From a LONG way away. I also got shots of about 50 other people who look exactly like Steven in a wetsuit, except they had mustaches, dark skin, and long hair . . . 

This is Steven re-entering transition. Notice the nice fog that rolled in for the run. I captured about 20 photos of Steven on the bike. I think this is the best one . . .

Out on the run - possibly my best shot of the day,
if you pretend bike cruiser man is not in the background.

And this is what you look like after you take 11 minutes off last year's time!! Congrats on a huge PR!

17 comments:

Caroline said...

11 mins off a sprint tri from only a year ago. NICE JOB STEVEN! See you guys next weekend in NorCal :)

Maggs said...

I like how the arrow points to him. So I knew exactly which guy running was him :-)

Spectating and photographing a race can be hard stressful work.

Running and living said...

Wow, that's awesome! And nice shots of your part! Ana-Maria

Beth said...

Woo-hoo!! 11 minutes is huge! When you are used to being the athlete, spectating/cheering and picture taking is quite a challenge - this I know! :)

GoBigGreen said...

nice job Steven, that is huge!

D said...

Awesome work, Steven!

And you did a great spectathleting job. I've decided to give up on pictures. It takes away from my over enthusiastic cheering ;)

rocketpants said...

Some great pics!! Nice job Stephen on the PR! Sounds like it was a great day.

t-odd said...

11 minutes off a sprint is incredible! Congratulations! The run on the beach makes him look like he is all alone. Are you sure that wasn't staged AFTER the race, just for effect? And Charissa, now what have we heard about using sunscreen? You need a higher SPF or it may just be the contrast with the slightly paler Steven. (Paler - who am I to judge. I am most commonly described as "lily-ass white.")

ADC said...

Nice photos. Wow, that is a huge PR. Well done Steven.

D10 said...

Congrats to Steven he did a great job! Nice pictures.

Kim said...

Wow! Great Job to Steven! Glad you had fun on "the other side"! I was thinking of volenteering at some local races just to do that and cheer on some friends! Love the pictures!

Roo said...

YAY Steven!

IAN said...

SOLID work Steve-O! My Carlsbad PR is a 1:23, rivalry is set! strong effort.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

YEAH to Steven!!!! Nathaniel and I saw him running out and then back towards the finish - he looked so strong!

Great seeing you out there yesterday. Definitely less stressful spectating than racing... ;) But still fun, nonetheless. Yeah - great spot...watching people exit T1. Hee hee hee!

NJ said...

Congrats to Steven! That's amazing! It's fun to be on the other side of the race every now and then!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats Steven! Love when we beat our own goals. You rock!

Charisa, nice job with the pics and we KNOW you were a fabulous cheerleader!

beth said...

nice job steven (and race photgrapher!!!)
see you this weekend in sonoma!