Sunday, June 28, 2009

Buffalo Springs 70.3 Race Report

Driving to the race this morning it was lightning. And the wind was blowing HARD. Rain was imminent.

The Kestrel and I checked in and I ran into Elizabeth.

I'm in the middle of this picture by the Texas A&M girl. The water was downright HOT. I spent half the swim wishing I was not in a full wetsuit, and the other half trying not to cough while swimming.

Spectators were not exactly conducive to Steven's long-distance photography of the Kestrel taking off on its first race. The pictures don't give it justice - but the bike is FAST!

When I first got on the bike I felt absolutely awful. My legs felt bad, I felt bad, everything felt wrong. I have never DNFd and I was seriously considering it. Having been sick I didn't want to make myself worse and thought maybe I had under-estimated how hard it would be to race after being sick. I decided to eat a GU and ride easy for five miles. If after this point I didn't feel better I would drop out. Thankfully, something turned around.

With nothing to lose and maybe some to gain I decided to push the bike. In the process I got snot all over myself and the bike. Thankfully it ended up pouring and washing everything off. Somehow I ended up setting a PR on the bike and riding into the fastest female amateur bike split of the day, something I have never done before. I wish I had photos of the pouring rain as I headed back to T2 - it was awesome.

It quit raining on the run, which made it a bit steamy. I didn't feel terrible on the run, but I also didn't feel amazing. It was a run.

Somehow I earned myself and IV. Unfortunately though they missed my vein and emptied half the IV bag into my arm before I realized it and had them remove the needle from my swollen arm. They offered to re-stick me. I decided drinking would be a safer option.

Cathy and I decided we should race together more often. Both of us PRd the overall distance, I chased her on the bike and she chased me on the run. We finished 1-2 overall female amateurs. It was a fun day!

28 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

WOW! Nice job out there today! Congrats!

BTW- the word verification for this comment is 'rests'. Good call, no? ;)

Roo said...

Wow- you two raced yourselves to side-by-side IVs!

Glad to hear the new bike (and it's rider) is speedy!

Maggs said...

Nice job out there. I've had the IV bag go into my hand before too. It was swollen and black and blue for a week.

D said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: you just rock! *cough*pro*cough* ;P

rocketpants said...

Awesome job out there and to be first amature, PR and be sick? I'm glad it all was able to come together so well.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Hot and steamy...maybe the weather helped loosen up the cold in your chest.

LOVE that smile at the end! You are the BEST!!

CONGRATS!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Congratulations. You Rock. Your arm must be the size of a football now.

So how fact does CW do a half IM with the flu?

I have this race on my radar, but not sure how I'll handle the heat.

Maijaleena said...

Congrats on an awesome race! Great report and pics!

D10 said...

Great job out there. Way to stick with things and finish strong.

Snakebite said...

Congrats! Way to go!

Rebecca DeWire said...

I bet that IV hurt! Sounds like you had a kick ass race despite being sick. You rock.

Running and living said...

Congrats! You look so good in the last picture, it is hard to believe that you had just finished a tough race:) Ana-Maria

t-odd said...

God I HATE needles! Isn't it crazy how on what feels like the worst day you kick ass - here is to racing with low or no expectations. Great race!

ADC said...

You need to leave my age group, like right NOW :))) Way to go, great race.

Molly said...

Wow! Congrats! The new orange suit looks awesome :)

Beth said...

Congrats Charisa!!! What an amazing day. Great job on your killer bike split and of course, your always awesome run. You have no weakness! :) Happy recovery!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Love the last picture! YOu both had great races and deserved to win the 1-2 spots.... congrats on winning and surviving all the hard work leading up to it!

GoBigGreen said...

Ok I know it isnt funny, but couldnt you and CY have just met up at a real bar instead of the IV bar:)!
Good race. Glad your legs came around. And I love th new race suit..
PS the pics of the bike are blurry bc it is so fast. Vroom vroom.

jameson said...

AWESOME race! congrats.

IAN said...

You, mi amiga, R and F-ING STUD!! I am sure the new Kestrel is fast, but I think it is more due to the rider at the helm!! They should be happy to have you.

New Kona goal - Bike and Mary PR's. Lets do this. I have a feeling I am going to become very familiar with the roads of Eastern SD in the coming months. Tell Steven I am willing to pay rent :)

Congrats again!

Jennifer Harrison said...

love the pic of you and CY! Great race and way to hit a PR and OA title. AMAZING!

solarpowered said...

Whoa! Congrats! Love the pix, love the orange gear, and the smile at the end is priceless. :D

LizE said...

oh bummer. you have officially trained yourself pro-fast. now i can't come down and suck your wheel because even on an off/sicky day, you're still kicking booties.

LOVE the orange get-up. it's very you!!!
xoxo

Ordinarylife said...

congrats, congrats, congrats!!!! What a awesome way to end a week of feeling crap. Well, maybe not the IV part but the rest.

Cy said...

Its was great to race with you and fun getting to know you and Steven.

Congrats again on the OA amateur victory and the breakthrough bike split. You'll just keep getting faster each time you race-I'm sure of it. WhooHoo!

BriGaal said...

The women's 30-34 age group is no joke!! Great race.

Rainmaker said...

Congrats on the awesome finish!

And I think the IV's are simply a badge of honor, especially when you go 1-2...it's like icing on the cake!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations!! Nice job! Glad to hear the new bike is one speedy one. The new orange race outfit looks great!