Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Progress

Yesterday I had three hard workouts. Today I have some more. This morning my legs quit working during my ride so I threw in the towel and rode to get some of this.

Instead of getting my coffee "to go" I sat down in a chair. Ten minutes of enjoying my dead legs being still, doing absolutely nothing. Sitting and watching people go about their day. I watched the guy across the street at Trader Joe's sweeping the entry. I watched the construction workers showing up to build their building. It was wonderful.

Last year I had a really hard time accepting that not all my workouts could be "great". I tend to set pretty high standards for myself and would continuously come home from a bad workout bewildered because my legs were not up for the workout on that particular day. This year I am learning to let it go - if the workout is not great, give it a rest, take a break and the next one will be better. Here's to progress!

14 comments:

Bandobras said...

Aahh grasshopper soon the pebble will be yours.
One of the toughest things to learn is to listen to our body and work with it instead of against it.
Have a great day and a great season.

Running and living said...

Live and learn...and feel much better with that positive attitude:) Ana-Maria

D said...

I love celebrating bad workouts ;)

t-odd said...

Nothing feels better than drinking coffee and watching other people work. Especially in bike shorts. Way to learn to take a break and let it go - you can't hit a home run every time you step up to the plate.

ADC said...

Yay for progress. And big yay for coffee.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

GREAT advice!!! Thanks :-) And that espresso makes me crave some.. HEE HEE

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Great job Charisa - I KNOW how hard you train, how hard you work. There will always be bad workouts or tired legs occasionally. HOORAY for letting yourself relax! YES that is great progress. Thanks for sharing - the espresso looks YUMMY!

Beth said...

I'm trying to learn that very same lesson. I'm a slow learner though - so I still have trouble with the bad days. :) Great attitude Charisa - likely one of the reasons you are so succesful!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Lovely pic of the shot being pulled! Nice lesson learned...thanks for sharing. I need more of that.

rocketpants said...

That is a lesson that can be hard to grapple with in the middle of a workout. It takes time to come to terms with sometime the body just doesn't want to do what we ask. Glad you were able to sit back and soak it all in.

solarpowered said...

Such a tough thing to accept and allow. Glad you were able to find something good (I love people-watching!) out of a rough workout.

Alaskan Assassin said...

Love the attitude.

I have realized that most days I dont have it but on that one special day when it all comes together.........well on that day all of the suffering is worth it.

To bad it never happens during a race.=)

Snakebite said...

http://www.slowmovement.com/

Bob Almighty said...

To quote ST " Athletes need to be told what not to do." Good job realizing the legs needed a break...also espresso is always better when you can sit down and enjoy it.