Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Long Ride

Fog by the coast led to hot, hot, hot inland.

The sound of my breath was the only noise other than a crow taunting me from a distance. Sweat slid down my chin, splattering on my bike computer, blurring the number on the screen. Although the steep hill, slow cadence and possible leg failure were providing more than enough information. My heart rate was really irrelevant at this point.

It seemed there was a head wind all day long. We changed directions, so did the wind. It was was somewhat humorous at first and as the hours ticked on, became irritating.


I am quite sure there is nothing better than our stop at the market where I always purchase coffee-in-a-can. Knowing I will stop for this drink motivates me to ride faster up multiple hills and try to keep my friend Allan in sight. Somehow the heat makes snapping that can open all the more refreshing.


I have probably said it before, but it is worth repeating. 

I really love how many places a bicycle can take me in a single day.

15 comments:

TRI-ROB said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Charissa!!!! Thanks for taking the time to snap some pics and share 'em with us!!! Looks like a FANTASTIC day!

Breathe...

D said...

As AWFUL as my t-run was today, there was something magical about knowing it would end at Starbucks with a big old Mocha Frap in my hand. Magic!

Running and living said...

I am slowly starting to love biking, for the same reason you mention in this post. Ana-Maria

Mama Simmons said...

Looks like an awesome ride! Don't you hate that when the wind changes direction mid-ride to make sure you have it in your face all day? Ugh.

t-odd said...

I can't wait for my upcoming marathon to be over so I can bike more regularly. (What do you carry in that seat bag? A tent and sleeping bag? - Just razzing ya' cause I am jealous.)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

NICE JOB!!!! Hooray - I can't wait to join you guys next weekend! Looks absolutely beautiful. :) Way to get through - you are SO MUCH STRONGER because of it. :)

Teresa said...

Love your coffee addiction, we would get along GREAT! Beautiful ride too! Still trying to figure out how you get photos and ride. I would break my camera or myself trying to accomplish this feat.
tn

rocketpants said...

Looks like a great ride! The coastal cool fog did lead to inland HOT yesterday...but still a beautiful day.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I find those foggy days the most challenging to dress for but am getting better at. Love the idea of a coffee drink mid-ride...nice pick me up!

ADC said...

A nice ride and starbucks - perfection.

Brooke said...

Wow! Beautiful pics :)

Roo said...

I love the green barn!

Maggs said...

the changing wind is good practice for Kona.

Ordinarylife said...

Coffee in a can????

I knew things were a little behind in South Africa but... wow!

Kim said...

sounds like a great ride! Love the pics! You did great! I might try that coffee trick.