Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bell Choir

Yes, it's true. I was in bell choir as a child. I am in the front row, far left. The little girl with the feathered bangs. Oh wait, we all had feathered bangs back then!

I remember feeling fancy because I got to wear white gloves while playing the bells. I also remember that when you struck a note out of turn it was very noticeable. Our bell choir mostly performed for church and Christmas musicals.

I always wanted to play the tiny high-note bells, but for some reason never got to. These were more complicated parts and I was always too busy running around outside to really put in much extra bell practice. Ohhhhh, but think how that could have paid off had I stuck with the bell-playing!

11 comments:

Christine Dammann said...

my mom and sisters were in a bell choir for YEARS! it sounds really pretty when everyone plays at the right time :)

Shan said...

That is so awesome!!!! I love to hear when other scientists were into music as kids - there are SO many!! I played clarinet in orchestra and jazz bands for a LONG time - so much fun! I even played xylophone/vibrophone for awhile. I too had some hot feathered bangs, but will refrain from posting them anywhere...

Hope all is well!! :)

BreeWee said...

Never even knew there was such a thing as a bell choir! What if all your blog posts were about bell choir training... ha ha...

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I LOVE Bell choir at Christmas! VERY festive - so beautiful. But you're right. When ONE person strikes the wrong note... we ALL know it. You're right: who didn't have feathered bangs? I especially like the ones I cut on my sister...long story :)

Maggs said...

I had the exact same haircut :-)

solarpowered said...

So weird. On my run today, I passed a church that had a bell choir performance sign out, and it made me spend the next little while of my run thinking back to when I was in the bell choir as a kid!!!

Ordinarylife said...

Never heard of a Bell Choir before - but then I can't even clap in time so even if there had been one anywhere near here they would not have let me close to it.

ADC said...

Ha ha ha.

t-odd said...

I too had the same haircut - it was not a good look for me. Hey, I was experimenting. No bell choir though. Thank goodness you found triathlon, take a look at your director and think how life would have been different. (Do you think he owned that tux?) Ring -a-ding-ding! Time to train.

Evan said...

What a nerd!! (sort of kidding)

I played the Baritone in the school band as a kid.

Do you still wear the white loves in races??

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

How cool is that! You and your feathered bangs are adorable.

I played cello. Kind of geeky then. I miss it now.