Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Ride and a Hill

I decided to find a new hill for my bike hill repeats this week. I was hoping my problem of being unable to get my heart rate where I wanted it might be the fault of the hill rather than the cyclist. Turns out my theory was wrong.

I did six repeats and took some pictures on the top of my new hill. This one is looking out over the ocean - probably hard to see it since it blends in with the sky, but it's pretty breath-taking.


Mt. San Jacinto way off in the distance - covered in snow.


Sunday the Tour of California will climb Palomar for the first time ever. Some friends and I plan to ride our bikes up near the top to cheer. I've been looking forward to this event for months.


What's even more exciting to me is that Palomar Mountain, which is often compared to Alp d'Huez has now been categorized and it got the HC! There was speculation as to whether it would be a Cat1 climb or an HC. Of course everyone here who rides it was hoping for HC - you know, so we can all pretend we are amazing climbers like those guys in the tour!

For those of you who don't follow the Tour - HC stands for Hors Category. It is the hardest ranked hill climb and the altitude difference must be a minimum of 1000m and an average grade of 7% or more.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Nice job on the hill repeats! The pictures were great. I have no idea what HC stands for so can you enlighten me? Marit and I talked about the tour riding up Palomar while we were doing it in January (when we could actually speak). It was a great ride and one I hope to do again someday.. great views and wicked gut wrenching workout - how can it be better! Have fun!!

cat. said...

nice climbing.

i SO wish i was going up there with you!!

ADC said...

Wow that is some climb. Have fun at the Tour.

Shan said...

Yeah! Nice pics!! I really want to watch the TOC on Sunday, but can't decide where to watch from - I heard if you're on Palomar you'll be stuck on the mountain until around 5pm and then they're only allowing everyone to leave via South Grade (rather than both S. and E. grade), so there'll be thousands of people trying to get off at once...that doesn't sound fun!! If you have any insider info that says the contrary, let me know! It would be a lot of fun to watch from Palomar vs. Cole Grade or the finish...

solarpowered said...

Whoa. Now that's a serious hill.
Good job on the repeats -- great pics! Good luck with the HR stuff and have fun at the Tour!

Maggs said...

Again, I'm so jealous of your proximity to Palomar Mountain. For a month everyone has been talking about it and I really want to ride it now. Have fun and get some good pictures.

Bob Almighty said...

Climbing an HC...man you are bad ass. Have fun with the tour.

Mama Simmons said...

that's really cool that you guys will be up there at Palomar! I remember years ago when I lived in Scottsdale and we would go out hunting for the Postal riders every Feb when they came out for their training camps. We felt so bad ass for doing their climbs. ;)
Have fun!

IAN said...

I am going to be riding Palomar on Sunday as well. Hopefully I will see you out there.

Ordinarylife said...

Wow, that is some hill! And thanks for the info on HC, I had no idea what it stood for.