Saturday, January 10, 2009

3 and Adaptable

Tre, tres, drei . . . this was the number of workouts I had today. I've learned that on days like today I probably won't have three awesome workouts. Usually one of these will be sub-par. Or hurt. Or make me grumpy. But I've also learned it is during some of these workouts that I gain the most from my training. The body is amazingly adaptable. Give it a lot and it gets tired. But over time it becomes easy.

The run took place nice and early - beautiful moon-set and sun-rise. That was about all the beauty I found in my run today. The legs felt slow, the heart rate seemed off, and it just felt a bit BLAH. Not awful, but not great.  The cool part was I came home and checked out my Garmin and the speed was actually good. It just never felt good.

I think I once mentioned my clothes don't usually match while training . . .

Ate a snack and hopped on my bike to go to the pool for a swim. Although not real excited for the swim after the lack-luster run, I knew my friends would be at the pool and if nothing else it would be fun to see them. Amazing how a few friends can make a long workout seem short.

I convinced my Dad that doing hill repeats with me would be a great way to spend his afternoon. 
This workout is by far the hardest one I do all week. To say I like it would only be true when it is finished. I do believe it makes me stronger, therefore I keep doing it. This blue post is the "finish line."
And it really all does seem worth the effort in the end. This is the view on the way down the hill. Today it was 80 degrees, so I have absolutely nothing to complain about - it was a great day of all 3 sports!

11 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

Wow...great workout and I'm really jealous of the weather you guys got out there.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

HOORAY! Great job today - it was SUPER fun at the pool - especially chilling together afterwards! :) Still working on my blog about our "good times" ;). But oh well - I've been a slacker with my writing today - ha! BEAUTIFUL day for biking... I was hoping that you and your Dad had fun - looks like you did! Hooray!

X-Country2 said...

Great day of working out! (Love the Where's Waldo gloves!) I can't wait unitl it's 80 here.

Shan said...

Hey Charisa! What hill is that you do repeats on? Sometimes I get a little sick of doing Torrey Pines, so it'd be nice to do some other ones now and again...sounds like an epic day of training! Nice work!!!

D said...

Wow, I totally shouldn't have looked at your blog today. Outdoor pool? Outdoor rides? Look at that weather!

Good thing I'm going to make the most out of the $200CAD round-trip airfares SEA-LAX pretty soon :D

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You totally awesome! Seriously. Inspirational!

rr said...

That is so cute that your dad does hill repeats with you! And that pool looks gorgeous.. almost makes me want to swim :)

ADC said...

Ah, that weather looks amazing. I am so jelaous. Love the gloves!

Brooke said...

Good for you on three workouts! You are amazing...and um- that's your DAD?? What were you born when he was 5? My gosh!

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

I love that you got your dad to do hill repeats with you! I just tried to get my dad to do the same the other day :-)

TRI-ROB said...

Ok. I'll tell you this because you're a big girl and I think you can handle it:

After reading this post, I hate you just a little bit. Yeah, just a bit.

LOOK at the WEATHER!!!! Holy CRAP!

Glad you have the right perspective on the adaptability of the body... its VERY cool!

Breathe...