Sunday, November 30, 2008

Completely Lost

I will work every weekend from now until Christmas. Sometimes it is a pain, but for the most part it isn't that bad. I usually try to at least get in a good ride or run before I head off to the office. Something to make my day complete. This morning was a perfect example.

I am lucky in that I live near a network of running trails. I have spent the past 4 years exploring every inch of these trails. This morning I headed out for a run. It was a perfect morning - it was quiet and everything was wrapped in thick fog. As I wound up the trial I was happy that the fog had left dewey drops on the cobwebs so I could see them, and therefore avoid a head-on collision with them. (A cobweb collision generally results in me squealing and hopping around to ensure I've gotten any spider that may have been in the web off of me).

I'm not sure how one gets lost on a network of trails that has been explored inside and out, but this morning it happened. I made a left turn and all of a sudden realized I had discovered a new trail! New rocks to jump over, new turns, new streams to cross (that I semi-fell into)! I figured I'd spend 5 minutes being semi-lost. But 5 minuted turned into 45. It was one of the best 45 minutes of being lost that I can remember.

There is something about running trails that makes me completely 100% happy. I'm not sure if it's the simplicity of it, the dirt or the fact that it makes me feel like I'm 5 years old, jumping over logs and crossing streams. But today my day was completely perfect before it even really started.

I wish everyone could have moments like those I experience while riding or running. I know not everyone enjoys cycling or running like I do. But knowing that today I'll go to work and my day will be so much more complete because I got lost on some running trails seems so simple, yet so wonderful. I really think Brooks has the right idea: Run World, Run.