Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Superfrog Triathlon Race Report

Superfrog is a great local race that although it is flat, was not fast this year. We started off with our two loop swim by diving through a lot of waves. To be honest for about two minutes I wasn't sure I was going to get out past the breakers.

David Dalstrom captured these awesome aerial photos of the swim start. It's hard to tell how big the waves are, but coming in on the first loop I was fairly certain I was going to get pummeled. (I did).

Photo: David Dalstrom

Photo: David Dalstrom

Photo: David Dalstrom
Somehow on the second loop I managed to make it out past the breakers a bit better and I was happy to finish the swim after what felt like 37 very LONG minutes, as first female out of the water.

Other than hitting some massive bumps on the way out of transition and deciding to turn around to retrieve my lost nutrition bottle, the bike consisted of putting my head down and riding as hard as my legs would allow.

It was windy this year and therefore heading north was a screaming fast, fun and fantastic time! The U-turn at the north end of the course led to a massive headwind-slog back toward Mexico. This was repeated four times. I felt fairly good considering I raced an Ironman two weeks ago. I think mostly I was just excited to not be sick for this race and go hard on the bike. I came off the bike first female after 2:28.

The run course was slightly different this year with about 6-7 miles of it in the sand. It was high tide so I was either running right where the waves broke, or in deep sand. I chose the breaking waves area most of the time and about every five minutes I miscalculated where the wave would break and I'd be running through several inches of water. It's a good thing my Zoot shoes have holes in the bottom for draining water. I don't wear socks and I was happy to come away with no blisters after 1:36 of running.

Charisa Wernick Superfrog Win

I finished first female in 4:44, a full 22 minutes slower than last year, but happy to repeat the win! It was a fun day of racing with my friends Karl and Jesse, who both landed on the podium as well.

1-2-3!

Should I decide to take up canoeing after my triathlon career, I now have two of these awesome paddles! Seriously though - this award is one of the nicest I have ever received, it won't go anywhere near water.

Next Up: Challenge Rancho Cordova Half this Sunday.

THANK YOU:
Moki – You put on an amazing race!
Zoot - fast shoes that drain, flexible wetsuits, awesome training and racing apparel.  
Microscope World - my other great job.
Profile Design - I love racing my disc!! I love the Aero HC system.
Powerbar - gels, hydration and recovery for ultimate performance.
Nytro - awesome local bike shop!
Extreme Endurance - thanks for helping me race, recover and repeat!
Rudy Project - great helmets and sunglasses, awesome colors!
Bont - best cycling shoes around.
Kenda Tires - great tires for fast racing and less punctures.