Friday, April 13, 2012

Ironman Training

So you want to sign up for your first Ironman? Do it. The experience is amazing. Whether you cross that finish line in nine hours or 16:59 - it is a moment you will remember for life and an accomplishment to be proud of.

Hot air balloon joyride courtesy of Parko Polo.
 
Do remember however - the joyride of training may not be all smiles and flowers. It will make you stronger, that is for sure. And it will test your limits to no end. These are a few things from my most recent Ironman training that - should you ever experience them yourself - might make you feel better (or smarter!) about your own training.
  • Always carry extra food on rides (Ian & Kevin - please note I realize my problem with this!)
  • The desire to lay down and take a nap in the gutter mid-ride may occasionally be completely normal. Embrace it. Or maybe just stop for coffee.
  • Your house is going to get messy. As OCD as you are about cleanliness - at some point you will not care anymore.
  • There will be days when you think your body is DONE, but in reality you will complete one of the hardest workouts to date. I can't even describe how awesome this is when it happens.
  • Mid-build a workout on paper can look massively intimidating. Try to only worry about what you are doing at this moment. Your workouts tomorrow do not yet matter and yesterday is history.
  • Laugh at yourself. Because seriously - we are all just a TAD crazy!!
This morning I literally think I was swimming backwards at masters. I had a big day yesterday. I have another big one tomorrow. Bring on Ironman Texas.

12 comments:

Kiet said...

Guilty of many things on this list.

Beth said...

Also guilty of many things on this list! Most especially wanting to lie in the gutter mid-ride. :) Happy training Charisa!!

Steve said...

I had no idea you were doing IM TX. Wooo. Wonna my favorite people are doing the same.

Even though I am so a non IM type of person, I appreciate you give knowledge freely. :)

Have a good night Charisa. :))

ali said...

Omg!! I love this list and yes the gutter mid- ride is the best... Been there so much:)! Good luck and see ya in TX:)!

Kiki said...

thank you for making it okay that my house is a disaster right now. if I do put things away I'm tending to just shove them in a drawer. Off to take a mid afternoon nap now::)

Teresa said...

Not sure what you are talking about...ha!

Go Texas!!!

Christi said...

Great advice! Thanks so much for sharing!

Go rock Texas!

Jason said...

My wife told me the other day that my OCD has changed from cleanliness to dirtiness. I have a pile of laundry (clean) that is at least 3 foot high and instead of putting it away I just pick it out of the basket.....wrinkled and all (that is what hoodies are for....to cover the wrinkles)

Hope I get to meet you down at IMTX.....5 weeks away....better get that OWS in after that 2 hour run today.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Dang

One year too late girl.. my IMTX was last year. And we are moving to Austin so I could come watch, right? Wrong, we dont move until 4 weeks after the race...

Oh well, but IMNYC is a perfect rest gap from IMTX you know....

Now go clean your house..

Alison said...

I laugh at myself A LOT! I try to get my laughs in before everyone else is laughing at me anyway... :)

GoBigGreen said...

AND schedule a few massages!!!

melissa caron said...

Great list!