Monday, December 19, 2011

A Constant

I discovered running at age 15. To be able to run free, carrying myself wherever two feet can go, breathing in crisp winter air, or muggy summer heat, was something I loved from day one. Over the years I discovered amazing places on foot - vacation was always my favorite time to run. Experiencing a city with all its noise and quiet in the pre-dawn hours is much different than from a car window.

I've learned that when I am happy I love to run. Put my run to music and it is like two of my favorite worlds just collided. When I am sad I need to run. Running clears my head, makes complicated situations a little less foggy, or at least makes me feel better by the end in some small way. And always, running is a constant. Only a pair of shoes needed.

10 comments:

Steve said...

I wish I learned to like it at a younger age. It was always something I HAD to do for soccer. I would imagine if I started running consistently at a younger age, I might even be better. Oh well... I like it too, for all the reasons you stated. :)

Hope all is going well with you, and your family. :)

Fat and Slow said...

It's fun, isn't it, to have this window into a world that many people don't ever get to see. Pre and post dawn running and the calmness and stillness it evokes. The hard part for me has always been dealing with the cold.

Jason said...

Funny because I just wrote about this exact subject recently.

http://wp.me/p1jPve-1gx

Greatest way to see the world is running through it.

Beth said...

Running has been my constant for the better part of my life. Makes ne so thankful I found it early! Happy running Charisa!!! :-)

Jill Costantino said...

I LOVE running too - it's definitly my "constant" these days.

Lisa said...

Well said :)

Kiet said...

You get sad? ;o)

Totally agree.

RedRockChica said...

Exactly!

Matt said...

great stuff! I wish I would have fun running sooner in life but better late than never! Happy Holidays

Amy said...

Couldn't agree more!