Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Finding Speed

I decided to race Alcatraz this weekend for several reasons.

  1. The swim is somewhat terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Amazing is the only way to describe swimming in freezing water, taking a breath and seeing the golden gate bridge. Although the short course girls may kick my butt in the swim, I'm still excited.
  2. The bike course has everything - hills, flats, beauty. I'm hoping to get my legs out of "Ironman" mode and into go-hard mode. I'm pretty sure it's going to hurt, but in a good way.
  3. Quite possibly my favorite run course of any race I have ever done, the run is a giant playground. Single-track trails, running through tunnels, up sand steps. Nothing but high heartrate and changing terrain.
  4. I've spent the past three weeks going long at ironman pace and I'm looking to throw some speed back into them with this race. So although the legs may not respond, I'm looking forward to racing in a beautiful setting.
  5. Friends and San Francisco. Nothing else to say here - excited to see Kiet and Kathleen and hang out in a great city.
 I still can't figure out why Ian wasn't excited about this race?! Hmmmmm...