Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Finding Speed

I decided to race Alcatraz this weekend for several reasons.

  1. The swim is somewhat terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. Amazing is the only way to describe swimming in freezing water, taking a breath and seeing the golden gate bridge. Although the short course girls may kick my butt in the swim, I'm still excited.
  2. The bike course has everything - hills, flats, beauty. I'm hoping to get my legs out of "Ironman" mode and into go-hard mode. I'm pretty sure it's going to hurt, but in a good way.
  3. Quite possibly my favorite run course of any race I have ever done, the run is a giant playground. Single-track trails, running through tunnels, up sand steps. Nothing but high heartrate and changing terrain.
  4. I've spent the past three weeks going long at ironman pace and I'm looking to throw some speed back into them with this race. So although the legs may not respond, I'm looking forward to racing in a beautiful setting.
  5. Friends and San Francisco. Nothing else to say here - excited to see Kiet and Kathleen and hang out in a great city.
 I still can't figure out why Ian wasn't excited about this race?! Hmmmmm...

17 comments:

IAN said...

Take all the reasons why you are excited and you have my list of reasons I am NOT excited. Well except the Keit and Kathleen part, that would be fun. But all the rest... no thanks.

Have fun and smash it. Our first race of 2010 not together :-(

GoBigGreen said...

Good luck! Have some chowda' for me after the race :)

FLATOUT JIM said...

Awesome. Nothing else requires to be said!

Molly said...

Good luck this weekend!!!!! Wish i didn't have a massive brick on the schedule for Sunday or I'd have come up to cheer for you!

Emily Cocks said...

I like the sand ladder pic :) Have fun out there on Sunday.

t-odd said...

Have a great time! Make it hurt. Can't wait for the report.

Clair said...

You picked a great race, and it looks like better (foggy) race weather here by the weekend. Good luck!

SSB said...

I've questioned Ian's judgement on some things in the past, but he's the smart one in this situation.

Good luck though.

Beth said...

Wooo-hoooo!!! Have so much fun Charisa! That sand ladder looks like a calf-killer - but fun nonetheless!! Good luck! :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You have the PERFECT attitude for this race! Kiet and I did the mini-version of it a while back and it's definitely a mind over matter kind of course. Especially that darn sand ladder (which wasn't on our course). Cannot wait to see you and play this weekend!

Teresa said...

Say hi to the kiet man and give him a big hug! Your speedy self has got this! Cheering loud for you! Tn

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

My all time favorite. Have fun!!
Love those sand stairs. Crap, I'm so old.... how old are you Bob?.... I'm so old, I did it went the bike went over the Golden Gate and you ran the Marin Headlands.
Glad to see they have standarized the race for the last 15 years.

Kiet said...

Forgot to tell you today but I rand the sand ladder on Monday in your honor! The weather has been amazing the past three days, hot hot hot, sorry it won't be sticking around. But I know you and you find the beauty in fog as well. See you soon!

m said...

Good luck! Sounds like fun, especially the run course.

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo Charisa - better you than me in THAT water! Have you seen the size of THOSE animals that hang out!
Kick some butt out there lady - get your FAST legs going!

accentfitness said...

The Sand Ladder is the best part of the run... you get to walk!

Black Knight said...

Good luck this week-end. You race in places that I can only dream ... but I read your blog!