Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowy Orchard Ride

Yesterday's ride started with green fields and a lot of climbing. In the middle of this picture is the snowy mountain I climbed.

 
By the time I reached Riley's Farm it was snowing on me.

The coffee shop was closed. I considered turning around, but was more excited about making it over the top and descending the other side of the mountain, so I kept climbing, keeping a close watch to make sure the roads were not deteriorating. I have no desire to crash.

Snowy apple orchards are beautiful. At this point had I not reached the highest point I would have turned back, as slush was starting to build on the shoulders of the road. Instead I found a coffee shop that was open and sat and enjoyed this view with a latte.

 
I know I say this a lot, but the places my bike takes me are incredible. There were not many people on the mountain. The few there were throwing snowballs and looking at me kind of funny in my clippy shoes and spandex pants.

 
After ten minutes the clouds rolled back in and I knew I had to get off the mountain before snow started to accumulate.

 
The descent was a little cold, but definitely worth the views.

14 comments:

Molly said...

Beautiful! I don't think I knew you had snow that close...

t-odd said...

My bike hasn't taken me anywhere interesting.Unless my basement is interesting, but I assure you it's not.

I want to follow you on a bike ride someday. (I have a hard time believing I would we riding with you.) Then I could claim going somewhere interesting.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Now you are making me feel like a wussie for quiting in our 50F weather. Any suggestions for warm cycling wear? Gore tex?

Lisa T said...

So cool! I wish I was there. The snowball fight I started would probably slow us down though.

Teresa said...

BRRRR!!!
tn

Ordinarylife said...

wow! Snow is one thing I have never had to worry about. Looks awesome, but I think I would be viewing it from a nice warm place.

ADC said...

That is SoCal? Wow. I really didn't realise you had snow that close to home.

Beth said...

Your pictures make me so excited to ride outside again! We have about 2 feet of snow right now that needs to melt but soon...hopefully very soon! :)

cheryl said...

Really pretty, so different from where I live, and how fun that you get to experience the seasons in one bike ride ;-)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

That is beautiful!! It looks so peaceful and calming!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I'm with Lisa :) The snowball fight definitely would have slowed us down... :) Looks like a BEAUTIFUL ride!!!

IAN said...

Thank you for letting people know that it DOES get cold in So Cal.

Angela and David Kidd said...

Awesome! My bike just takes me to corn fields and industrial parks. Maybe it's mad at me for all the time it spends inside on the trainer.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So beautiful! What an amazing ride and I'm so happy that you were rewarded with an open coffeehouse!