Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recovery

A big part of training is the body's ability to recover, so we can train day after day. I have a full time job, so taking naps on a regular basis doesn't fit into the equation. I do have a few favorite recovery techniques . . .

Gu Brew Recovery: Not only does it taste good, but it's got the right mix of protein, Amino Acids, Vitamins C & E, lots of good-for-the-body stuff in it.

Ice Baths: Once you get past the first minute, it makes the legs feel oh so great! Drinking tea while sitting in the icy water helps!

Compression Pants: They may look funny, but these tights work. After a long run or ride, it feels like my legs are getting a massage.

Healthy Food: I try to put lots of color in the shopping basket, with minimal "processed" stuff. This isn't to say that ice cream doesn't live in our freezer as well, just that variety is good.

If you have some recovery tricks I haven't listed let me know!

21 comments:

NJ said...

I think you nailed most of the best ones...although I avoid the ice baths here in MN during the frigid weather. Good thing it's off season and not as much training! One I love that doesn't help so much in the physical recover as it does just my general sense of well-being...the sauna!

Tawnee said...

I'm considering doing my thesis on the effects of compression wear in endurance sports. I'll keep you posted; figuring out the nitty gritty sciencey parts right now... maybe I'll recruit you as a subject :)

Also... recovery tricks = foam roller. But I'm sure you do that!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Ice Cream can be colourfull!

jameson said...

good ones.

I use the foam roller and "stick" a lot. the "stick" in the sauna is a good one too.

Meg Runs said...

I love compression pants. There is something som comforting about them. Cedric looks very cold, by the way. Where's his tea?

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I use a different kind of BREW!! May not help recovery but sure does taste good!!

MM said...

Definitely the roller. And i love recovery runs.

MM said...

And a bowl of hot soup while in the ice bath. Sooo much more tolerable.

Alaskan Assassin said...

I agree with everything but the ice bath. It is hard to get motivation to jump into an ice bath after a 3 hour run in2 degree weather.

D said...

Mocha Frappuccinos!!! :D

Roo said...

I wear my beanie in the ice bath.

I can't believe coffee isn't on there!

Nat said...

Chocolate milk!!!

ADC said...

I am with Roo on this one - COFFEE!!!

D10 said...

Great tips! I love a soy shake (w/banana and a little peanut butter) after a long ride/run as a recovery drink.

Ordinarylife said...

chocolate milk and an ice bath! Seems to work for me.

Mr OL banned afternoon naps so I also had to figure out a different way to recover. He said I spent so long on a bike or running that if I slept in the afternoon too he would never see me.

Teresa said...

Massages from significant others (that is if you whine enough!) :)

tn

Jill Costantino said...

Oh Cedric must be freezing;) Those are all awesome! I have yet to try the roller that people are talking about!

Mike Russell said...

I have found 7 hours of sleep at night when possible is the magic number for me. You have some great strategies, and I would also include chocolate milk in that mix.

IAN said...

Quality time with SHREK!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Silly question...is the brew hot or is that just the name?

Chloe said...

Chocolate soy milk! YUM!!!