Friday, October 30, 2009

Athlete's Yoga

Last night I went to "athlete's yoga". My thought was that this class was designed with the muscles-too-tight, inflexible, perhaps-not-graceful athlete in mind. (Hmmm, ME.) I envisioned stretching. And peaceful music. The class was also only 1 hour. My life fits around this. Most yoga classes are 1.5 - 2 hours. In my mind that is perfect for a long run. Much too long for stretching and ohmmmmming.

I quickly realized this was not going to be stretchy feel-good class when our drill instructor started by saying child's pose did not exist in this class. "If you are tired you go back to push-up position." Awesome!

I have never held the plank position 1 inch of the ground for as long as I did last night. As soon as I would find reprieve from downward dog our drill sergeant had us switch to plank, then every five seconds we lowered ourselves closer to the floor - NEVER touching the floor mind you - in a tricep-aching-I-may-not-be-able-to-swim-next-week pose. I may have cried for my mommy at one point.

Just when I thought we might get relief from this pose, instructions to lift one leg and put our knee on our elbow were given. Serious. I of course could not reach my knee to my elbow so was left somewhat of a folded pretzel mess on my yoga mat. With shaking arms.

In case you are unsure of what this pose looks like (as I was until yoga master hopped right into it to demonstrate), I drew a sketch for you. It was a bad hair day. And my face is blue on purpose.

It is probably a good thing the off-season only takes place once a year.

18 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

What?? No Cedric at yoga class?... did you accidently sit on him yesterday??

MM said...

So you were wishing you were chanting ohmmmmm, ohmmmmm, ohmmmmm?

Jill Costantino said...

I am really glad that YOU tried this class out and found out what it is ALL about. That saves me from ever thinking that I may attend that class. Nice drawing too!
Are you super sore today?

Meg Runs said...

Gosh, I almost missed out on Cedric's bicycle adventure! You crack me up..especially the helmet picture!
By the way, you need some big time ART after your poor yoga experience. You look a little broken! Don't be blue!

Chloe said...

What!?! No Childs Pose? That is the ONLY REASON I do yoga :) I would have left right after the instructor said that!

Beth said...

Oh my. I hurt a little for you just thinking about it. ;)

Yasi said...

That sounds exactly like my yoga class this past Sunday! I could have died when he kept telling us to put our knee to our noses, over and over again.

D said...

Ok, that is NOT what a yoga class should be. No matter if it's "athlete's" yoga or "lazy fat asses" yoga. Someone didn't do their homework (the dumbass instructor, that is).

Mama Simmons said...

I bet your arms are sore today, huh?

GoBigGreen said...

Oh my, Yoga scares me especially the ones that are fusion yogalates..too much ADHD for me bc they are trying to do TOO MUCH. I bet the 48 hr DOMS has set in...

jameson said...

where did you take that class... and how'd you feel the day after!

word verification:
chump

awesome!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I love the blue face! Sounds like kind of an evil meanie class :-)

t-odd said...

I am amazed that you could do that class at all with those skinny green arms and legs.

FLATOUT JIM said...

Your legs look like golden arches, only green. Nice hair by the way.

Just keep thinking how fast this will make you next season.

Trishie said...

ha! love the blue face !

Herrad said...

Hi Charisa,

Good post, thanks.
Came by to say hello and wish you a good Halloween weekend.
Love,
Herrad

NJ said...

Hmmm...I did one yoga class and hated it because of the ommming. It was a bit too "feely" for me. Maybe birkram would be a good one to try...ever done that before?

Oh, thanks for mentioning my new header...I'm glad that at least one person likes it! :-)

archur said...

In order to arrive to an adequate definition and tocome up with proper standards for Yoga Therapy, it is crucial at this early stage to properly address some delicateprofessional and ethical issues. At the same time it is important to educatethegeneralpublic about Yoga Therapy'sbenefits and careful use.so this article will really helpful to me..r4ds