Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What do you eat?

I have been vegetarian my entire life. I have never eaten chicken or beef. Serious. My parents are both vegetarian. (And they are not hippies.)

I get asked a lot what I eat and most specifically how I get enough protein when I train a lot. So here are a few of my favorites.

I recently discovered Oikos greek yogurt - it rocks. Lots of protein.

I love lentils. Lentil wraps are even better with hummus inside along with cucumber and tomatoes, diced real small.

I eat a lot of tofu in stir fries and usually make smoothies for breakfast and add protein to them. I never really think my diet is very different from most people's, I kind of tend to just replace the meat with some sort of tofu or legume product and it ends up being good.

I think it is possible to eat a healthy diet that includes meat. I just have never had any growing up and now it does not look good to me.

12 comments:

Running and living said...

That's a great diet. And tasty! Ana-Maria

Maggs said...

I love lentils. And I eat a lot of quinoa. But I also eat meat, except Chicken.

Elizabeth A. Rich said...

I love Oikos Greek Yogurt TOO!!!

D said...

I WISH I had been raised vegetarian because once you get the taste of the meat, it's hard to get it out. mmmmm... now I want a burger.
Also, I hate vegetables. I'd make a terrible veggie :D

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds yummy!

FLATOUT JIM said...

your diet is exactly the same as mine. Well except for some beef, and chicken, and some hot dogs and bacon.

But seriously, I try to stick with lots of veggies and I just started to do tofu stirfrys. I usually keep my meat for suppers. But I can't live without it.

t-odd said...

I could never give up bacon. NE-VER! That and my wife would divorce me - she's a meat-n-potatoes kinda gal (she likes veggies, too.)

Teresa said...

I may turn vegetarian if it a guarantee I could run half your speed :) Love that you eat such a clean diet and get all the "good" protein in. I love veggies, but get the meat in too!
tn

D10 said...

Oikos is good, I love the honey one. I do enjoy some meat, mainly chicken, however I will only eat meat I prepare (or my mom or sister).

Alaskan Assassin said...

I love food!! period

GoBigGreen said...

Ooh love it. I used to be vegetarian in college and used to eat WAY too many faux meat products, ie Boca brand but now they kinda gross me out.
Tempeh and Tofu seem to be better for my gut as well. Thanks for sharing:)

Beth said...

That's interesting - that you've NEVER eaten chicken, beef, etc... Not too many people in our country could say that!

In truth, vegetarian athletes tend to get more protein than non vegetarians because in general they are a lot more cognizant of their needs and know what foods are high in protein! So I'm sure you are doing just fine! (and you are probably much healthier for it!)