Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bonking

This was me on my run last night.

I really am not sure what happened. Somewhere along the way my awesomely-planned tempo run quickly became the soooouuuuuuper-slow, try to survive and make it home shuffle.

I'm going to blame my bike. I rode some fun hills at lunch and pretended I was in the Tour de France (minus the peloton, the cheering crowds and the Alps.) The only similarity really was that there were a few hills and I played make-believe. It was quite enjoyable.

By mile 2 I could tell I was on empty, but figured I could slow down a bit and turn "tempo" into "easy". I continued on my loop route. At about the point when I was furthest from home the thought crossed my mind to stop in a gas station and ask the attendant if I could call Steven to come rescue me. This seemed lame and somewhat worse than needing him to rescue me when my bike fails me. So I continued on, dreaming of just about every food I could consume once I actually made it home.

At mile 8 while cursing my "loop route", I passed a strawberry field and wondered if there was some sort of fine for stealing strawberries. Had it not still been light out with tons of traffic going by I would have flopped down in the field and eaten about 100 of them.

I did make it home. It took an hour for the carrot cake, chocolate milk, leftover casserole and lima beans to hit my blood stream. I suppose if I get bonking practice out of the way now it might be good! And maybe I should start listening to Brian and carry a GU with me sometimes!

18 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

Gotta get them carbs baby. Better before you bonk thouhg.

It happened to me at masters practice a couple of weeks ago. Not a nice feeling.

Maggs said...

What a terrible feeling. It's happened to me soo much lately. Now I'm eating a banana pretty much before each workout.

Carrot cake is a great cure for the bonk.

Roo said...

Um- are you out of GU or something. I have quite a stock of choc-peppermint if you need some!

t-odd said...

I love make-believe. Way to gut it out on the run. I always enjoy it when I come home and eat anything in the house that's not tied down. So satisfying.

rocketpants said...

ohhhh the dreaded bonk! Could always carry a dollar or two on you...then you could buy some gummy worms at the gas station. :-)

IAN said...

CARROTT CAKE!!! I envy you. My absolute favorite! The bonks suck but when they come around I find them as a nice justification for a HUGE post swim/bike/run refuel. GEt em all out b4 Oceanside!

Kiet said...

Been there Charisa, at least you didn't resort to laying down like I did in Golden Gate Park and all of these tourists looking at me like WTF is with this pro looking dude. I try to dress as plain and ordinary as possible for my runs now.

ADC said...

But you've made it home.... without calling Steven :-) Carrot cake??? Sounds good..

Kim said...

I've been there done that, it isn't pretty. Yeah, I hate to lecture (especially when I have done it myself) but take your insurance. That's what I call it.. my just in case I start feeling like crap gel insurance. If I haven't eaten in awhile and I forgot my afternoon snack I always take one with me because the times I have been without it..yeah..rough..real rough! Glad you made it!

Snakebite said...

"This was me on my run last night."

Wow, you sure have a long tongue!

D said...

Bonk is my worst enemy. I don't like that word. Grrr.

Teresa said...

Nothin' a little carrot cake can't cure. I hate when that happens...some day we will learn!!!

Bob Almighty said...

Gu in a fuel belt is always a good idea although pants' option sounds tastier.

solarpowered said...

I have felt and looked like that. It sucks. :(

The feeding fest afterwards is the only good part.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I am dreadfully behind on your blog and SO much has happened! First off, CONGRATS on the great race! And a big birthday hug too! Love the kitty photo! And sorry to hear about the bonking...run with GU!!!

Evan said...

I am with you 100 percent on this one. One mile from the end of my run on thursday I had to sit down on a rock because I was so faint. I only brought 1 GU and no liquids on my 3 hour run.

I hate the feeling of the bonk.
Anyways that is cool you toughed it out and finished it up.

Haley Cooper said...

Rough. We've all been there. Ask Katya M. about the strawberry thing. I believe she's found her self in a VERY similar predicament before. hehehe.

LizE said...

Last time I did that, I was with you. It must be contagious.