Friday, February 6, 2009

Torrential Rain, Wind and a Run

This was the forecast for our run last night. If the image had words attached they would read PURE JOY. We seldom get rain in Southern CA, and even less often do we get torrential down-pouring rain.

I am a huge fan of running in the rain. I find it exhilarating. Similar to stomping in rain puddles as a kid while pretending I was Mary Poppins and could fly down the hill I lived on with my umbrella. (I would probably still do this if I ran with an umbrella).

This was my last speed-prep run for the half marathon this weekend. I hope it pours again Sunday. I enjoy nothing more than flying down the road as the skies open up and unleash a torrential down-pouring of water, while the wind whips sideways and occasionally a car nails a small lake next to you, sending it everywhere.

I decided we gained at least 5 lbs in water weight by the end of the run. Our shoes turned into sloshy sponges and whoever invented "dry-fit" clothing - it was nothing but wet about a minute into the run.

We had a photo shoot afterward. Unfortunately it looks more like it is snowing and apparently my camera likes to focus on rain-drops more than humans.

18 comments:

ADC said...

It does look like snow and because you are dressed like it's summer ;-) it seems quite odd. You wanna run in the rain? Move to the UK. I am really just jelaous ;-)

D said...

There really is nothing better than running in the pouring rain... especially when it's warm! Now I'm REALLY jealous!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You know - I LOVE running in the rain as well. Just something really peaceful about it. But last nigh... boy - there were some really really intense downpours! I know - because I was caught in one on my bike :) Great job with your run - you're going to do AWESOME on your half marathon this weekend!!! Yea yea yea!

Beth said...

Good luck this weekend Charisa! Have fun! Here's hoping for a downpour! ;)

David said...

you guys are crazy!!!

Alili said...

Yay, love running in the rain--can't wait for spring in MI. :)

Bob Almighty said...

All my PR's have come in the rain...well except Hartford....I'm really jealous right now.

kera said...

You are soooo much fun!!! Love the rain pictures! I'm not a fitness buff like yourself but saw an add for Zoot shoes...for running and wondered if they were comfy! Good luck on the 1/2!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Way to get out there and make fun happen! Good luck this weekend!

Kim said...

I loved the rain pictures! It also says something when you are hoping for rain! You have to love the weather and all of the rest of us on blogspot all sad it's like zero degrees! I rode with Marit in San Diego about a month ago and I was soo lovin it!! Have a great race this weekend! Good Luck!!

Natalie said...

I LOVE running in the rain! It is very exhilarating. I did some trailing riding in a downpour once. Looking back on it, it was probably pretty stupid because of the steep slopes that we occasionally rode along!

Good luck this weekend!

Mama Simmons said...

I love running in the rain too. As long as it's a warm rain! We're lucky here in Hawaii we get warm downpours all the time. :)

Evan said...

Looks like you guys had some fun out there.

Good luck at the half this weekend!

Think negative splits!!

rocketpants said...

Have a great race this weekend! That does look like snow...thankfully it is not. :-)

GoBigGreen said...

Whoa those pics look like it is snowing! and running or riding in snow is alot nicer than rain!
WET shoes are tough, but you sure made the most of it with a smile nonetheless:)))

Eileen Swanson said...

Sounds like lots of fun!! Cute pics too ;-)

solarpowered said...

I LOVE running in the rain! Great pictures! :D

Good luck in the half tomorrow!

t-odd said...

I just want to be able to run in shorts again. I ran a 20 minute PR in a marathon in driving rain. So, pray for rain this weekend. Rain or shine have a good race!